• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marriage in michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

louisa01

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My questions are probably going to sound pretty wild. I want to marry my stepson. I live in Michigan. He is in prison but will be released soon. My question is, can we legally wed in Michigan? The law states you cannot marry your stepson-actually it states he cannot marry his stepmother, but I am no longer married to his father, we are divorced, so is he still my stepson? The other question is, if we do get married here now, can we later marry in another state where we would have a valid marriage, for example, I believe we could marry in Ohio legally. Or can you only marry the same person once? We could marry while he is in prison, but when he gets out, he probably won't be allowed to leave the state for 18-24 months, so we wouldn't be able to get married for quite some time. Do we need to disclose to the person marrying us our prior relationship? Or to the county clerk? We share the same last name currently, I have been divorced for over a year and we only lived as stepmother/stepson for about one year, of course, there was absolutely NO relationship until well after the divorce, romantically, I mean. Thank you so much for your time and attention to this matter. I know it's lengthy, but wanted to give all of the details.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">