• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling a world of warcraft account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Texibus

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My question is why is it against the law in order to sell a World of Warcraft account. I have been considering to sell my for some time now and when I posted it on Ebay it said i violated some EULA laws. According to Blizzard when i contacted their billing department i'm not allow to give out my account name and password to anyone because they host the account it doesn't belong to me. I also put disclaimer all throughtout the auction stating that i was not selling the account it's self but only the time i spent in game collecting the virtual items that blizzard owns and these two disclaimer that follow were also placed in the auction:

Disclaimer: By bidding on, inquiring about, or viewing this auction you are stating that you are in NO way affiliated with Blizzard Entertainment, ESA - Entertainment Software Association, VeRO, or any associated entity. World of Warcraft is a trademark of Blizzard Entertainment. All characters, items, gold pieces, or other intellectual property in World of Warcraft are the sole property of Blizzard Entertainment. This auction is not for the ownership of their intellectual property but rather for the time spent working on these characters and acquiring items. All references to 'the character' are indicative of my time spent on leveling the aforementioned characters. All characters, items, in-game currency, and anything else associated with this auction will remain the property of Blizzard Entertainment. According to the World of Warcraft EULA section 3.B:

"You may permanently transfer ownership of the Game and all parts thereof, and all of your rights and obligations under the License Agreement, to another by physically transferring the CD-ROM, all original packaging, and all Manuals or other documentation associated with the Game, and by removing from all of your home or personal computers and destroying any remaining materials concerning the Game in your possession or control, provided the recipient agrees to the terms of this License Agreement. The transferor (i.e., you), and not the Licensor, agrees to be solely responsible for any taxes, fees, charges, duties, withholdings, assessments, and the like, together with any interest, penalties, and additions imposed in connection with such transfer." ( http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/legal/eula.html )

To me this sounds like a leasing agreement and you can sell a lease to another person even though you don't own the car. My auction has been removed and i wanna know what kinda ground i'm standing on.

I appreciate your time and any advice you can supply. i guess if i can't sell the thing i'll keep it, but i'd like my 9 bucks back from ebay haha. Also, i've seen other account sell i'm wondering why my was targeted

racer72

I did some investigating based on the other WOW post. The account you have is not owned by you, you cannot sell something that does not belong to you. Your lease anology holds no water, you cannot sell a leased vehicle or the lease without approval of the leaseholder. The owner of your account, Blizzard Entertainment, has the legal right to say who uses their account and who doesn't. The reason they don't allow accounts to be sold is more a matter of fair play. They don't want newbies jumping into the higher levels without earning their way there. You have no claims against anyone, drop it.

Texibus

Yeah, that wasn't me a few weeks back, but I did see the post. The thing is that i'm selling someone access to the benefits of my time that I spent in game, nothing else.

I don't know consider this situation. I give a kid a lawn mower and pay him to mow my yard. I don't have to have to pay merely because i gave him the tools in order to accomplish the job? I'm basically now paying this person for their time because i'm capable of mowing a yard, everyone is capable of leveling thier on characters in WoW. People obviously value the time i spent in game so why shouldn't i be able to supply my account info to them. I'm not selling any code, auctioning off items, or breaking any trademarks everything still stays inside of Blizzards system, just someone takes over billing responseabilities.
Other services have fought with this before and seemingly lost the fight or gave up Examples are Dark age of Camelot and Ultima Online, they even facilitate the transfers now. What Makes WoW different?
I'm not selling my account any long, but I think we have some intresting legislations coming our way with these types of cases growing in number.

Texibus

Also, if you think they want to give people a fair shake in game you're neive. They do that in order to make people play longer. If you don't have to build a character it will take longer to level and they get more revenue through subscriptions, the ToS agreement article has nothing to do with "fair play"

ablessin

ok, let me ask you this - - you've apparently worked for a long time to get the level in this game that you are at.

So, really why would you want to let some stranger just "Step in" at where you are leaving off??

Because they would have to pay for the time? WHY do you care if Joe Schmoe has to pay Blizzard? (or whoever gets the subscription payment.)

People are willing to pay to cheat? Well, that was a stupid question. Of course they are - and that is why - in part - the world is in the state it is in.

What is so wrong with starting at the bottom and working your way up? There is NO sense of acheivement if you pay to step in mid way

racer72

You want to use anologies as a way of explaining your side. Here's my anology. Me and 9 friends get together to play a friendly game of football. I own the football. A couple of the guys decide they don't like my rules so they decide to change them. Because it is my football and my rules, I take my ball and leave. Now they can't play football because I own the most important part of the game. It's the same with your game. Blizzard Entertainment owns the game and they can set the rules. You either play by the rules or you don't play at all. Sounds simple to me.

Texibus

Why would someone want to sell art work? Samething i put my time on it, but i'd like to be given some type of compenstation for the time i spent there.

the g-pa: no one was paying you to use the ball.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It seems the field has evolved a lot since then. Now it has been mostly agreed that user agreements are not really enforceable.

So if you would like to buy or sell your wow account, you can check out {removed} to deal with professional account dealers. :D
Um, ok :rolleyes:

X240

Ok I agree that Blizzard created the game and that they have rules but I will tell you this they do not own MY game. I bought the game, I own the game, and I continue to pay for the game. And as I see it I have every right to do as I see fit with MY game. So if that means selling it because I am not going to play it anymore I see no problems with that. And plus what does Blizzard have a problem with that either, someone else buys the account and pays for it a month and they make money or i cancel my accounts and they loose 45+ dollars a month and that might not be a lot, but when a lot of people want to sell there accounts and they do not allow to sell it then guess what Blizz will not be making that much money anymore, thats how i see it.

Zigner

#1: You don't OWN the game. You have a license to USE the game. You paid for said license, and you pay monthly to continue the use of said license.

#2: You agreed to follow certain rules as a condition of the aforementioned license. It is not a "law", it is a contractual obligation that you freely entered in to.

#3: Blizzard will do just fine without you ;)

cymbol

And for every account that's sold, 2.37 accounts get canceled due to owners' frustration with rampant cheating.

It is actually 2.371575, rounded to the nearest hundredth.

Zigner

And for every account that's sold, 2.37 accounts get canceled due to owners' frustration with rampant cheating.

It is actually 2.371575, rounded to the nearest hundredth.
And, for every 2.371575 accounts that are canceled, 3.29975 are opened.
Blizzard don't care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">