• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

annuities protected from claims of creditors?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lc6x

What is the name of your state? illinois

are nonqualified (i.e. not a employee retirement plan) annuities protected from the claims of creditors in illinois?
i am the owner and the annuitant,and currently funding this annuity for my
retirement.

lc6x

JETX your thoughts on this

illinois insurance statutes

(215 ILCS 5/238) (from Ch. 73, par. 850)
Sec. 238. Exemption.
(a) All proceeds payable because of the death of the insured and the aggregate net cash value of any or all life and endowment policies and annuity contracts payable to a wife or husband of the insured, or to a child, parent or other person dependent upon the insured, whether the power to change the beneficiary is reserved to the insured or not, and whether the insured or his estate is a contingent beneficiary or not, shall be exempt from execution, attachment, garnishment or other process, for the debts or liabilities of the insured incurred subsequent to the effective date of this Code, except as to premiums paid in fraud of creditors within the period limited by law for the recovery thereof.

Regards,

lc6x

JETX

lc6x said:

Sec. 238. Exemption.
(a) All proceeds payable because of the death of the insured and the aggregate net cash value of any or all life and endowment policies and annuity contracts payable to a wife or husband of the insured, or to a child, parent or other person dependent upon the insured, whether the power to change the beneficiary is reserved to the insured or not, and whether the insured or his estate is a contingent beneficiary or not, shall be exempt from execution, attachment, garnishment or other process, for the debts or liabilities of the insured incurred subsequent to the effective date of this Code, except as to premiums paid in fraud of creditors within the period limited by law for the recovery thereof.

Regards,

lc6x
My comments (and EXCLUSIONS to your case) are underlined above. However, if your original post was not complete or was incorrect.... AND if the annuity in fact MEETS the statutory exemptions... then they would be exempt.

lc6x

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sec. 238. Exemption.

my question is whether as the statutes seem to indicate that quote,

"or other person dependent upon the insured, whether the power to change the beneficiary is reserved to the insured or not, and whether the insured or his estate is a contingent beneficiary or not, shall be exempt"

i am the annuitant (i.e.) insured, and funding the annuity and dependent on the proceeds for retirement.

it seems to indicate the insured can be a beneficiary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">