• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ROW question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjwillie25

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello-
I recently purchased a piece of land. My access is across another landowner via a right-of-way that has accompanied the property (I bought) for years.
Currently, the existing road (my ROW) is dirt. I want to improve the road by adding slate and possibly paving (not widening). The land owner does not want this done.

1. Can he keep me from doing this (improving the road)?
2. If I have to go to court to clear this up, what the amount of time it typically takes to solve these disputes?

Thank you

jjwillie25

Thank you for the reply.

However, the road is barely passable now....Don't I have the right to improve it somewhat, so I can use it?

S

shell007

If the owner will not give you permission to improve the road, then consider buying an SUV with four-wheel drive and you shouldn't have any problems with "the dirt".

Nice gesture though :)

liquid8or

Is there any way you could "improve" the road/driveway/easement using gravel or some other non-perminent material which he/she would not object to?

Hey shellandty ! Y' all get the propane hooked to the trailer yet?

jjwillie25

While I appreciate the sarcastic humor, it does not belong on this board, so go post it on whatever websites you teenagers look at (in addition to this site).

OK, I get it. But let me ask...what happens when a lot is bought with an easement (but no exisitng road is there)

Using your statements, the landowner could request that I not build a road if I can still get my SUV throught the trees.

Last edited:

HappyHusband

jjwillie25 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hello-
I recently purchased a piece of land. My access is across another landowner via a right-of-way that has accompanied the property (I bought) for years.
Currently, the existing road (my ROW) is dirt. I want to improve the road by adding slate and possibly paving (not widening). The land owner does not want this done.

1. Can he keep me from doing this (improving the road)?
2. If I have to go to court to clear this up, what the amount of time it typically takes to solve these disputes?

Thank you
I am surprised that this did not get any real answers, so here goes my two cents.

An access easement does not convey any right other than to pass over the easement. If the road is impassable, it would follow that you would be allowed to make the road passable, despite what the land owner says.
You should consult with a local attorney.

jjwillie25

Thank -you Happy Husband.

I am in the process of hiring an attorney, but thank you for the realistic opinion on the matter.

liquid8or

I was serious about the gravel improvements.

If we are not talking about concealed weapons and bankruptcy, does everyone think I am joking?????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">