• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

For seniorjudge (or even IIAL)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

badapple40

What is the name of your state?

Judge/IIAL: I wanted your opinion on a matter.

The law firm I work for obtained summary judgment for a client in a sort of trivial amount (plaintiff's case), within the local court (around 10k). It was supported properly with affidavits and was entered in accordance with law.

Thereafter, the defendants, who were previously pro se, "woke up" and hired an attorney -- the brother of the county prosecutor, who was politically connected. Nevertheless, the attorney never filed an appeal from the summary judgment.

He files his first motion to set aside the judgment, under 60(b). It is not supported with any kind of evidentiary material. Not surprisingly, even with this guy's political connection, it is denied. Incidentally, case law in Ohio prohibits 60(b) motions from summary judgment motions -- the reason being that parties need to raise defenses in the course of the summary judgment proceedings.

Then he files a motion for "reconsideration," which is not allowed under Ohio law. It is full of all kinds of spurious and unsupported allegations regarding the Plaintiff (nothing supported by affidavit or any other evidentiary material). He also files an appeal from the denial of his bare-bones 60(b). Meanwhile, we begin garnishment proceedings against this guy's client's bank accounts, after he tells an associate at my firm who was working on the case that our client will never see a dime of the judgment. We successfully obtain the full amount of the judgment from the Defendants' bank accounts. Defendant's attorney did not post a bond during the appeal nor did he post a bond (committing malpractice in my opinion, but I digress).

An entry of satisfaction is entered, and a motion to dismiss is filed in the appellate court, because Ohio courts hold that once the Defendant satisfies the judgment (even through garnishment), the case is moot and it takes away the ability to appeal or even to move to set aside the judgment.

We also file a motion in opposition to the "reconsideration" motion, mostly looking at the procedural aspects of the case -- namely that Ohio law does not allow reconsiderations from final judgments, that, if it is regarded as a second 60(b), that it is barred by res judicata/collateral estoppel, since it could have been raised in the first 60(b), that the matter is moot and there is no jurisdiction, that 60(b) can't be used to set aside the summary judgment, that 60(b) is no substitute for appeal, and that you can't use a motion for reconsideration on a fin al order.

This was before I joined the firm -- and the associate did not focus in on the facts nor point out to the trial court that the Defendants motion was totally unsupported and completely baseless.

The trial court sets the judgment aside, calling it a miscarriage of justice (I'll not disparage the judge, but I get the feeling either politics or laziness was a factor in play). Anyhow, the judge then vacates the set aside on account of the matter being on appeal.

The appellate court agrees that the matter is moot and dismisses the appeal.

The Defendants' attorney then files a BS motion for the trial court to go ahead and rule (and set the judgment aside).

Suffice to say, we figure this matter is resolved by the appellate court.

Also filed is a motion for sanctions and a motion for supplemental attorney fees (the statute the Plaintiff sued under authorizes attorney fees) -- on account of the Defendants' filing in light of the appellate court order.

The trial court doesn't give a darn, mainly because the associate, acting like a cocky jerk in the pleadings, has ticked her and her clerk off, and purports to set aside the judgment. She also denies the rule 11 and motion for supplemental fees.

So an appeal is taken from the order setting the judgment aside, and the associate also files a writ of prohibition action against the judge --arguing she is patently and unambiguously without jurisdiction.

So, that takes us to present day. The office managing partner comes into my office and asks if we can do anything with this matter.

Notwithstanding the liklihood of success on appeal (its a slam dunk case on the law), I've been asked to get involved to minimize any further reputational damage to the firm in light of the slash-and-burn litigation engaged in by the associate and any misgivings/dislike the judge has towards our firm at this point. We'd like to repair some credibility with the trial judge -- which may be impossible, and, while we will get a reversal on the supplemental fee issue (and potentially even the sanctions), there is the issue out there that the trial court obviously has a deep disdain for the associate, is not afraid to get reversed, and will hose the firm on the amount of fees (which has been handled as a contingency and so is the money pit for the firm at this point) -- so we'd like to get her to change her mind on the fees issue after it comes back down.

Do any of you have any thoughts on handling this?

badapple40

Not lately (unfortunately). Blame it on billable hours and they actually make me deal with marketing and bringing in business. Its miserable! We were down at Keenland a couple weeks ago though, in grand style.

BelizeBreeze

badapple40 said:
Not lately (unfortunately). Blame it on billable hours and they actually make me deal with marketing and bringing in business. Its miserable! We were down at Keenland a couple weeks ago though, in grand style.
Great place. I was there for an auction about a month ago.

As to your little episode, is this attorney still employed?

badapple40

He is still employed. He was in his first year of practice when this began, and, like a lot of younger attorneys, needed to have his zealousness tempered a bit with reasoned (and seasoned) judgment. The lesson of this case has not been lost on him.

I also believe the judge was wrong in what she did -- and my initial suggestion was that the firm contribute up to the campaign limits for her opponent in the next election.

BelizeBreeze

badapple40 said:
He is still employed. He was in his first year of practice when this began, and, like a lot of younger attorneys, needed to have his zealousness tempered a bit with reasoned (and seasoned) judgment. The lesson of this case has not been lost on him.

I also believe the judge was wrong in what she did -- and my initial suggestion was that the firm contribute up to the campaign limits for her opponent in the next election.
Good suggestion. Jet is online now. I would suggest you also ask his opinion in a private message.

JETX

BA: All I can really say about this is.... can a relatively simple matter be made even more complex. :eek:

In a rough read of your post, I see what appears to be numerous errors and ommissions on both sides...... certainly enough to taint just about everyone who touches this file.

In my opinion:
I would make every REASONABLE effort to resolve this matter between the parties... preferably outside of the courtroom. The court has clearly 'dug in' and any further court proceedings are surely going to cause additional problems.... and open (or re-open) 'wounds' that could have much more dire consequences down the road. The best thing that could happen for ALL parties is likely a simple 'Matters are resolved, cases dismissed, thank the court for their time'.

This is a relatively minor matter that should be handled as best as possible... and put behind the firm. I see little benefit (other than to ego's) to fight this battle. "Better to suffer a bruised ego by jumping from the horse... rather than to ride it over the cliff".

badapple40

Jet:

Thanks. I think settlement has also been tried and pretty much exhausted at this point. The opposing attorney for the Defendants is not willing to settle the case and claims that, when the appeals process is over (whether he wins, loses, or draws), he plans to further litigate the matter bringing an abuse of process claim against the associate/firm/plaintiff.

If we could walk away from this at this point I think we'd be inclined to do so -- but opposing counsel makes that next to impossible. I guess the best thing we can do is just to ride the appeal out, get the reversal, and then drop the issues for additional fees and walk away at that point.

BelizeBreeze

badapple40 said:
Jet:

Thanks. I think settlement has also been tried and pretty much exhausted at this point. The opposing attorney for the Defendants is not willing to settle the case and claims that, when the appeals process is over (whether he wins, loses, or draws), he plans to further litigate the matter bringing an abuse of process claim against the associate/firm/plaintiff.

If we could walk away from this at this point I think we'd be inclined to do so -- but opposing counsel makes that next to impossible. I guess the best thing we can do is just to ride the appeal out, get the reversal, and then drop the issues for additional fees and walk away at that point.
I think I would choose that path also....but then, I'm a razorback flyboy..what do I know ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">