• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Debt Sttlement PLEASE HELP !!!!! Newbie

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

osumax

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

I just want to start of by thanking you for your help and here is my question.

I can't help to be skeptical but, their are companies, for instance Curadebt, that say they can settle your debt with credit companies and they say they can settle for 50% of your amount or more maybe sometimes less. Is this for real. I have $30,000 dollars worth of credit card debt, is this a viable option for me. And if it is, can you recommend a company or companies that I can trust to do good work. What are some bad things that come out of doing this?

If any one has done this and wants to share a story I would greatly appreciate it. And once again thank you so much for your help.

Debt Guy

Here is my standard response to questions about credit counseling and debt settlement:

CCCS goes my lots of different names –credit counseling, debt consolidation, and debt management – but it all pretty much works the same. You send them one big payment and they break it up into small payments to creditors.

CCCS will attempt to work out an "affordable" repayment plan. Generally, the CCCS will ask creditors to reduce the interest rates so that monthly payments go mostly to principal and thus pay down the loans.

Not all creditors work with CCCS type companies. You can't make them do so. So, if one refuses, then you are just out of luck. Hopefully, the CCCS will tell you about it -- but, not always.

Even those who participate will not necessarily reduce the monthly payment required -- just more of the payment goes to principal and thus you pay off the debt faster. Most CCCS companies negotiate programs to pay off the debt in 4 to 5 years.

Yes, CCCS does work for the credit card companies. But, that does not in itself make them evil. There are good ones and bad ones. The best ones are locally based. The best of the best are agencies of the local United Way. Some of the more reputable ones can be found at www.nfcc.org.

Ironically, CCCS does affect your credit negatively. Every debt enrolled in the CCCS program is reported that way on your credit report for the whole world to see. Many lenders, especially mortgage lenders, view CCCS as a non-judicial Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Mortgage lenders tell me that you need to be out of the program for at least a year before they will even think about a home loan.

Even an honest CCCS can be a good fit or it can be a bad fit for the situation. Every situation is different. You need to understand the pros and cons of the strategy.

I am not as negative as many on this board about settlement companies. It might or might not be a good fit for what you need. Again, it depends on the situation and there are pros and cons of the strategy.

Most settlement companies cannot stop the barrage of collection calls – some are better than others.

A settlement company will attempt to negotiate discounted settlements of your debts. The potential for savings is significant. However, you must be able to fund the settlements as lump sums -- creditors will not accept a discounted payoff on installments.

There are lots of scam settlement companies out there. They are much more interested in separating you from your money than in helping develop a strategy to achieve an end result that leaves you in a better situation.

These companies require their fees to be paid in advance. You will lose those fees if you grow weary of the program and terminate -- or when you find out they could not accomplish what they promised – or when they just vanish and your money is just gone.

There are some ethical settlement professionals. I know because I had a company fail and was so upside down it was not funny. My attorney recommended that I hire a settlement professional. After a lot of research, he and I developed a set of criteria to sort the good from the bad and it worked for me. I was not unhappy. But, I sure have seen a lot of people take a royal you-now-what. Every single time they failed to follow the rules that worked for me.

My advice on choosing a settlement company is:

1. There is no painless solution to your problem -- so don't look for one and beware anyone who tells you there is no pain. Be sure to understand all the choices you have and to evaluate the pros and cons of each alternative. You will know what makes sense for your family. It is OK to listen to all the self-appointed experts on the internet. But, you make the decision based on your own good judgment.

2. Never ever never pay anything in advance. Most of these guys want thousands of dollars in enrollment fees and it comes up front. Once you pay that money, what is to keep them interested in you? Not much. If you cancel, then they keep all the money you paid and they did nothing to earn it. An ethical company will only charge a fee after they have produced a result that you agree is satisfactory.

3. Read the agreement carefully. Never accept any clause that pre-approves the acceptance of any settlement without your express consent.

4. Beware of anyone who makes the process sound too easy. If they want to set you up on "easy monthly payments" and it will take 3 or 4 or 5 years -- back away fast. You are going to get the bejezus sued out of you and they will just say "don't worry, it is only a judgment and we will deal with it later". I would worry. You should worry also.

5. Understand that you must be in default in order to settle the debt. Being in default will affect your credit negatively. If you are already having credit problems, then the settlement program is not likely to make your score much worse that it already is. If you are current on your debts, then you must weigh the pros and cons – is the financial savings and potential solution worth the negative impact on your credit for the next couple of years? It does recover in time, but you should expect a decline and then a gradual improvement once the problem is behind you.

6. Sending money monthly to a settlement company is almost always a bad idea. If you want to save monthly, open an account at the bank. Stay in control of your money. Period.

osumax

Thanks for the information I will check out the web site to find a reputable organization.

Please people, keep on posting.

JETX

A good site with information on the 'credit consolidation' industry is:
http://www.creditinfocenter.com/debt/

You might also want to read the information at Bud Hibb's website:
www.budhibbs.com

For example, he says the following about debt consolidation:
"Consumer Credit Counseling Service (CCCS) has had a reputation that for many years it misrepresented itself to consumers in the way that it conducted business. Only because of successful class action lawsuits has their monopoly on this market been broken. My complaint about all credit counseling is that they get paid a commission, (averaging 10-12%, paid by the creditors), yet try to confuse the consumer with misleading words and phrasing such as "non-profit." Don't be fooled! This is a billion-dollar industry which at one time was sold as franchises like McDonalds and Colonel Sanders. Credit counseling is much the same as a Chapter 13 Wage Earner Bankruptcy plan in which debtors enter a long-term program to repay their debts. This can last as long as five years, while seriously hampering your credit recovery. If you follow CCCS's program, the original creditor is allowed, under federal law, to report the debts for an additional seven years after you've made your last payment, thereby adding to the time it is allowed to stay on your credit reports. Another big problem is the contract they require clients to sign. You literally sign your rights away and give up any future rights to litigation, no matter what they do to you as a client. Finally, far too many of the credit counselors have demonstrated that they are too ill trained to be dealing with the complex issues of debt and collections. I have heard numerous stories from consumers across the nation that credit counselors gave improper advice which negatively impacted their lives, including advising consumers file for bankruptcy protection."

Debt Guy

He is all rant and no substance. I think some of the advice he gives is ill-considered.

Now, you have any facts to back up your biased opinion?

JETX

Debt Guy said:
He is all rant and no substance. I think some of the advice he gives is ill-considered.
Personally, from what I see on his website... it appears to be both accurate and on-point. Any examples of what you feel is "ill-considered" (whatever that means!!)??

Now, you have any facts to back up your biased opinion?
Sorry, but I don't have any biases on this subject. I simply follow the law.... :D

JETX

Debt Guy said:
No cat fight. Just a difference of opinion on an issue that is highly subjective.
Yep. No problem here. I just happen to feel that Hibbs is doing a decent and commendable job.... Debt Guy is free to be wrong. :D

osumax

JETX said:
Yep. No problem here. I just happen to feel that Hibbs is doing a decent and commendable job.... Debt Guy is free to be wrong. :D
Plese do not fight :eek: :eek: :eek: , please help. I am still confused, what I am after is debt settlement not debt consolidation. I understand debt consolidation and I want no part of it.

What I want is to be able to find someone out their that will settle my debt with a creditor/s and settle for 60%, 50% or less of my total debt.

I would like to know if this exists and if anyone has had success with it.

Debt Guy

Jetx and I are not fighting. There is just a philosophical disagreement -- there is a moron he respects that I think is an idiot. God forbid that he and I should ever discuss religion or politics (us Bull Moose Wiccans get our feelings hurt so easily! ;) )

Apparently you did not read my original post. I know it was long. Read it again. I personally went through what you are going through. There are a few good settlement companies and many bad ones. The challenge is sorting out the bad ones. I offer a series of criteria for making that decision.

I would willing to share personal experiences -- but not in a public forum.

JETX

Debt Guy said:
there is a moron he respects that I think is an idiot.
Awww, come on!! Who could that be?? Everyone knows that there are few people that JETX really respects... since he is an equal opportunity aggravator!!!

As for debt settlement, here are some sites with good information:
http://www.creditinfocenter.com/debt/settle_debts.shtml
http://credit.about.com/cs/debtnegotiation/a/052103a_2.htm
http://www.rlrouse.com/debt-settlement.html
http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/debt-settlement.html

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">