• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

15 Year Old, Suspect of Arson In School (Please Help)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmarNYC

Hello,

I am 15 year old attending a New York City Public School and this all happened today, this is the truth from my side of view.

1. In debate class today we had a team going on about curfew, etc. I was sittin g in the back of the class and people were throwing around paperballs/having paper fights. I reached my hand into a kids next (right to my side) and I took a piece of paper to throw.

2. 10 minutes later, the desk right in front of me seated a peer of mine. His name will be John for this post. He jumps up and says there is a fire, he was slumped on his desk before this, later he said he was SLEEPING.

3. I get up while he goes to back of the class (I have 2 witnesses saying this), and I tell the teacher there is a fire in the desk, and the boy didn't say anything, wierd huh?

4. The teacher calls the security and she takes all of the people in the area at the time for questioning. I am questioned heavily, since I was right behind him. This is what I stated the whole time:

"I just saw him jump up from the desk and go to the back that was all I saw".

5. Later on everyone is dismissed because the kid that I took the paperball from to throw had a LIGHTER in his desk. So they (the school's deans) believe I had put the lighter there. But how could I have put a lighter in if I only had my hand in there to get a peice of paper?

6. Everyone is dismissed except me. I have a conference with the prinicipal to discuss suspension or even expulsion on Tuesday the 17th of January at 10:30 AM.

7. I am allowed to bring witnesses. But it is nasty how I was dealt with it. "Innocent until proven guilty? They called the cops saying we have the kid that made the fire."

8. I know the kid, John. He has told me has set garbage cans on fires in New York City Subway stations during Freshman year. I have a witness to prove this. He even said in front of 2 other witnesses it was a joke he didn't really do it. But he has had talks about FIRE, and ARSON, in the past?

9. He has heavy asthma, someone from his family smokes. He can easily obtain a lighter.

10. Why was a treated so unfairly? How can I go about this? ie, my arguments about him going to the back of the room when the fire started - the deans didn't even cared when I said that.

Please help me, this is ruining my life. Thank you.

rmet4nzkx

I hope your speach skills are better than your typing skills because this post was very hard to understand.

Have a sit down with your parents and get an attorney to represent you. You need to learn to keep your hands to yourself and not participate in classroom antics.

It is possible that your communication problems are why you are suspected of setting the fire.

Did you start the fire?

CdwJava

Nobody here can say why you were treated the way you were.

Legally, the fact that a kid may or may not have lit a fire somewhere last year is irrelevant. If he had done the same thing at school last year it MIGHT be relevant ... maybe.

If you are charged with a criminal act, ask your parents if they will spend a few thousand dollars for an attorney. If you only face school discipline, consider yourself lucky and still consider an attorney.

What is your history? Any prior arrests or convictions (or "true findings")? Any trouble at school? Something must make them think you are capable of this.

- Carl

Shay-Pari'e

But how could I have put a lighter in if I only had my hand in there to get a peice of paper?

Lets think for a moment. You had the lighter in your hand when you went into his pocket?

What is my prize??????????

OmarNYC

--PARIDISE-- said:
But how could I have put a lighter in if I only had my hand in there to get a peice of paper?

Lets think for a moment. You had the lighter in your hand when you went into his pocket?

What is my prize??????????
So I guess I am at www.freeaccusations.com/ignorancy

When did i even have my hand in anyone's pocket.

Sorry I typed this last night in a hurry while going to bed, so it was fast.

I have no other record in the school. No prior arrests or any convictions.

I have however had 2 cards written for playing cards in the auditorium when not to, and use of cellphone in the lunchroom. Nothing more.

But if they can take in my past history why not hear about John's past?

rmet4nzkx

OmarNYC said:
So I guess I am at www.freeaccusations.com/ignorancy

When did i even have my hand in anyone's pocket.

Sorry I typed this last night in a hurry while going to bed, so it was fast.

I have no other record in the school. No prior arrests or any convictions.

I have however had 2 cards written for playing cards in the auditorium when not to, and use of cellphone in the lunchroom. Nothing more.

But if they can take in my past history why not hear about John's past?
No you are at freeadvice.com and you are still a child who needs to face up to reality whether or not you like it. You will be facing a number of questions. You had the opportunity and the means, you were not entirely innocent, you were particiating the disruptive activities in the classroom. Pleae heed the advice that Carl and I have given you.

rmet4nzkx

OmarNYC said:
Thank you for your advice. The matter is settled, the real culprit has come forward and confessed.
While that may be a nice update for us and an outcome you desired, the bigger question is what did you learn from this experience and what are you going to do in the future to avoid being a suspect again? This is not a trick question.

OmarNYC

rmet4nzkx said:
While that may be a nice update for us and an outcome you desired, the bigger question is what did you learn from this experience and what are you going to do in the future to avoid being a suspect again? This is not a trick question.
No I have not. Because I do not know of the future crime(s) or happening(s) I might be involved/indirectly involved in.

rmet4nzkx

OmarNYC said:
No I have not. Because I do not know of the future crime(s) or happening(s) I might be involved/indirectly involved in.
I told you it wasn't a trick question.

Did you learn anything from what happened, if so, What?

Then, how might you use that key learning to avoid trouble in the future?

Two Bit

One thing about school discipilnary matters is that they're a totally different animal than criminal matters. I'm a school resource officer.

The rules of evidence for the school hearing are whatever the school system lays out, and the burden of proof is just a perponderance of the evidence.

The strongest defense evidence that you have is that other people have overheard what this other kids say. If you can summon witnesses, I'd call them. Their value may be diminished if they're your friends, but every bit helps. I think I'd try to get information about his prior fires in front of the hearing officer also.

I don't see how his ability to get a lighter helps anything. Anyone can get a lighter. That doesn't seem compelling.

As for the criminal side, I'm just hearing your side of this, but I don't really see that going anywhere. Without a witness seeing you start it, hearing you talk about it, etc, it seems like it would be a hard case to make. Not to say that you can't make a circumstantial case for an arson.

OmarNYC

Two Bit said:
One thing about school discipilnary matters is that they're a totally different animal than criminal matters. I'm a school resource officer.

The rules of evidence for the school hearing are whatever the school system lays out, and the burden of proof is just a perponderance of the evidence.

The strongest defense evidence that you have is that other people have overheard what this other kids say. If you can summon witnesses, I'd call them. Their value may be diminished if they're your friends, but every bit helps. I think I'd try to get information about his prior fires in front of the hearing officer also.

I don't see how his ability to get a lighter helps anything. Anyone can get a lighter. That doesn't seem compelling.

As for the criminal side, I'm just hearing your side of this, but I don't really see that going anywhere. Without a witness seeing you start it, hearing you talk about it, etc, it seems like it would be a hard case to make. Not to say that you can't make a circumstantial case for an arson.
Yes, he confessed so its over now.

But, I told them about the previous fires he caused to the Dean of Record, he pushed me aside not caring. I told them about how he went to the back of the class, he pushed me aside.

All they wanted is a confession, and they got that. But not from me.

But what I found the most funny is how these adults lied to make us confess. One of them said 5 people pointed me out as have starting the fire. A later review of all documentary evidence showed my name was not used in the same paragraph with the word 'fire' or ANYTHING of that sort.

Also about your question, I learned not to do anything wrong ever. But my thinking is, something like paperball throwing is nothing to me so I'll keep doing it, I regret to say.

rmet4nzkx

OmarNYC said:
Yes, he confessed so its over now.

But, I told them about the previous fires he caused to the Dean of Record, he pushed me aside not caring. I told them about how he went to the back of the class, he pushed me aside.

All they wanted is a confession, and they got that. But not from me.

But what I found the most funny is how these adults lied to make us confess. One of them said 5 people pointed me out as have starting the fire. A later review of all documentary evidence showed my name was not used in the same paragraph with the word 'fire' or ANYTHING of that sort.

Also about your question, I learned not to do anything wrong ever. But my thinking is, something like paperball throwing is nothing to me so I'll keep doing it, I regret to say.
Regret? That's too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">