• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change of venue from one state to another

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

L&JSMOM

Hello,
My divorce was final in South Dakota is 1991. I moved shortly after to Nebraska and he moved shortly after to North Dakota. WE have two children. I would like to transfer the documents and be able to go through the Nebraska courts (Hall County). I have custody and after 8 years would like to go back for a raise in child support. My lawyer in South Dakota has since retired and the agency there no longer deals with family law. I was told by the clerk of courts here that I could do this transfer through the courts on my own but would have to make sure I have the proper paperwork or forms. What are the name of these Forms? and How to I attain these forms? After I get everything transfered here then i will attain a lawyer (I have one picked out). Please help me as soon as possible, Medical bills will start rolling in shortly. THANKS!!

LegalBeagle

L&JSMOM said:
Hello,
My divorce was final in South Dakota is 1991. I moved shortly after to Nebraska and he moved shortly after to North Dakota. WE have two children. I would like to transfer the documents and be able to go through the Nebraska courts (Hall County). I have custody and after 8 years would like to go back for a raise in child support. My lawyer in South Dakota has since retired and the agency there no longer deals with family law. I was told by the clerk of courts here that I could do this transfer through the courts on my own but would have to make sure I have the proper paperwork or forms. What are the name of these Forms? and How to I attain these forms? After I get everything transfered here then i will attain a lawyer (I have one picked out). Please help me as soon as possible, Medical bills will start rolling in shortly. THANKS!!
Get your attorney to do it.. there is no real transfer as such. You would file the current court orders into your new county court as a foreign divorce agreement. You can do this as the same time as you petition for an increase in CS.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">