• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Patient privacy rights as a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cw8189

FLorida

I am 14 years old, me and my boyfriend have just recently had sex. I am now running a fever and other symptoms , when i visit the doctor they will ask me if i have ever had sex....If i say yes....do they have the right to tell my parents??

ablessin

Tell me, was the sex worth it?

You need to be honest with your doctor - HOW are they supposed to treat you properly if you lie to them about your sexual history?

You are a minor.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
cw8189 said:
FLorida

I am 14 years old, me and my boyfriend have just recently had sex. I am now running a fever and other symptoms , when i visit the doctor they will ask me if i have ever had sex....If i say yes....do they have the right to tell my parents??
You need to be honest with your doctor. Regardless of anything. If you were old enough to have sex then you should be old enough to take the consequences.

panzertanker

The LEGAL answer:

In Florida, a minor has the right to seek medical care for the following without parental consent:

1. STD/HIV/AIDS
2. Contraception
3. Prenatal care
4. Mental Health (outpt)
5. ETOH/Drugs

None of these require parental consent, as well as Abortion (this is currently under review by the Florida Senate, so that it WOULD be required for a minor's parents to be notified if they are seeking an abortion. (exceptions are life emergencies and if the minor is married).

HomeGuru

cw8189 said:
FLorida

**A: why are you worried? did you not use protection?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
panzertanker said:
The LEGAL answer:

In Florida, a minor has the right to seek medical care for the following without parental consent:

1. STD/HIV/AIDS
2. Contraception
3. Prenatal care
4. Mental Health (outpt)
5. ETOH/Drugs

None of these require parental consent, as well as Abortion (this is currently under review by the Florida Senate, so that it WOULD be required for a minor's parents to be notified if they are seeking an abortion. (exceptions are life emergencies and if the minor is married).
I'm not trying to diminish what you said, but the OP is more concerned with parental notification, not consent.
How do the laws address the minor's privacy rights?

panzertanker

Zigner said:
I'm not trying to diminish what you said, but the OP is more concerned with parental notification, not consent.
How do the laws address the minor's privacy rights?
If you can seek treatment without consent, then parental notification is a moot issue.

The only thing the OP has to worry about is being treated for an STD/HIV/AIDS (if she is positive) b/c they are mandatory reporting diseases, and her parents might find out then.

Heather2

It could be something as simple as a yeast or bladder infection. As Panzertanker told you your parents don't have to know so be honest when you go see your doctor.

It's not necessarily a STD so don't let them scare you.:rolleyes:

panzertanker

My answer is the correct legal one...

My feelings, as others have voiced their opinions too, are that you need to speak with your parents ASAP. An open line of communication is the best thing for you. You may have some other problem, not associated with having sex, that needs to be addressed immediately.

You need support.
You need love.
You need protection.
You need education so that you are safe.

Good luck.

ablessin

A lot of insurance carriers produce a paper or electronic EOB when a claim is processed. I get paper EOB's now, but my old insurance carrier, Aetna, sent me an electronic one every time they took action on a claim, be it physician, pharmacy, etc.
So, her parents may find out that she went to the doctor. And IF it is something that needs medication, they will know that too - and furthermore, depending on what is prescribed, her folks will know just what the doctor visit was for! All they have to do is "google" the name of the medication presrcibed to her.

If she is old enough and mature enough to have sex, she needs to be old enough and mature enough face whatever problems come as a result.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">