• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what rights does stepmom have

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TrcyBg22

New York- My ex is getting remarried, what rights, if any, by law will the new wife have pertaining to my children?

carofl93

As far as I know, a step parent has no rights because they are legal strangers to the children. I am a custodial stepmom meaning that my stepdaughter lives with us full time, and I have no rights to do anything for or against my stepdaughter. I am on the emergency contact list for school because her biological mother lives out of state, and I have had a limited power of attorney over her medical needs due to my husband being in the military, but that is all.'

Hope this helps.

Carol

Rushia

TrcyBg22 said:
New York- My ex is getting remarried, what rights, if any, by law will the new wife have pertaining to my children?
Should you read the other thread you started you would know the answer. Stepmom has no rights to your children. The remarriage will not affect your support.

Now for a bit of personal advice. Unless you have compelling reasons, no, you cannot keep the children away because you do not like her. It would be in your childrens best interests if you would encourage a good relationship with their father and new stepmom.

TrcyBg22

Im not trying to keep them away but she is a little more involved than she should be, for example attending parent conferences and doctor visits, calling my house etc. I have to deal with my ex but I shouldnt have to deal with her.

S

shell007

TrcyBg22 said:
Im not trying to keep them away but she is a little more involved than she should be, for example attending parent conferences and doctor visits, calling my house etc. I have to deal with my ex but I shouldnt have to deal with her.
Try and put your own personal feelings aside, and put the child first. You'll always be her MOM.:)

At least she seems to be involved in looking out for your child's best interest.

What's the harm in that?

Rushia

TrcyBg22 said:
That is very true. Not legal here, but perhaps you could tell your x and his wife that it makes you uncomfortable?

ceara19

TrcyBg22 said:
Look at it this way, you need to play nice and get along with the woman, she's going to be your daughter's step mother. You should treat her the same way you want her to treat your daughter.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
TrcyBg22 said:
However, if he wants her to go with him for these things, you're going to have a hard time stopping it. Teacher/parent conferences - most schools are more than willing to set up times for each parent. Problem solved. Doctors visits are a bit more complicated, but surely you can hold it together for 30 minutes to an hour. Calling your house - screen calls.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">