• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blue_rose58

I filed for a divorce against my husband because he is a drunk and was treating me like a slave, following me and controlling my every move. I even have witnesses to this fact. But I fell in love with another man now and am living with him at this time. My lawyer now tells me that my husband has contested the divorce on grounds that I am committee adultery, and that he will NOT give me a divorce. Also my lawyer tells me that my husband has hired his friend, and since the two lawyers are friends, it would be in my best interested not to pursue the divorce right now and wait 18 months. That really upsets me, that means that my husband is still controlling my life. My lawyer, said that my husband has ask that I pay all court and lawyer fees if he wins the case. Should I seek another lawyer, or just wait it out for another year and half?? I feel that maybe my lawyer just doesn't want to fight against his friend? Please help...Jan

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

blue_rose58 said:
I filed for a divorce against my husband because he is a drunk and was treating me like a slave, following me and controlling my every move. I even have witnesses to this fact. But I fell in love with another man now and am living with him at this time. My lawyer now tells me that my husband has contested the divorce on grounds that I am committee adultery, and that he will NOT give me a divorce. Also my lawyer tells me that my husband has hired his friend, and since the two lawyers are friends, it would be in my best interested not to pursue the divorce right now and wait 18 months. That really upsets me, that means that my husband is still controlling my life. My lawyer, said that my husband has ask that I pay all court and lawyer fees if he wins the case. Should I seek another lawyer, or just wait it out for another year and half?? I feel that maybe my lawyer just doesn't want to fight against his friend? Please help...Jan
My response:

How long have you been separated?

Under what circumstances did you leave each other? This is a crucial question because, depending on your answer, will determine how much "separation time" there must be before the court will allow the papers to be litigated.

If your husband will not voluntarily sign the papers, then you must wait the proper amount of "separation time".

IAAL

B

blue_rose58

We have been apart since september 8, 2000. He got mad at me and told me not to come home. This is the third time he has done this to me this year, the last two times I went back to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">