• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

claw06

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My ex and I have joint physical and legal custody of our 13 yr. old daughter. We have only been divorced since December. My daughter stays with me 1 week and then him 1 week. She loves her father and he treats her well but he has made and does make some very poor decisions. Here is a little info. on both..

She does not have her own room, she sleeps on a hide-bed at his house, and the majority of her belongings are at my house in her room. She has been getting in trouble at school lately and her grades are also suffering. She has expressed several times how she would like to live with me full time and just visit her dad. But she does not want to hurt his feelings.

My Ex is slowly learning about being a parent. While we were married almost all parenting was left up to me. Now, she has 2 completely different sets of rules. Her father and I disagree on almost everything from punishments to her friends. Now the worst part.

He is now without a drivers license and will be going to court for his 2nd DWI within 5 years. This has made matters even worse. He can not take her anywhere or pick her up friends, dr. appt. etc. He has told me that his license will be suspended for at least a year and there is a very good chance he may have some jail time. Can I get custody changed because of this? If so, would it only be while he is serving his sentence or can I get it permently changed.

seniorjudge

claw06 said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My ex and I have joint physical and legal custody of our 13 yr. old daughter. We have only been divorced since December. My daughter stays with me 1 week and then him 1 week. She loves her father and he treats her well but he has made and does make some very poor decisions. Here is a little info. on both..

She does not have her own room, she sleeps on a hide-bed at his house, and the majority of her belongings are at my house in her room. She has been getting in trouble at school lately and her grades are also suffering. She has expressed several times how she would like to live with me full time and just visit her dad. But she does not want to hurt his feelings.

My Ex is slowly learning about being a parent. While we were married almost all parenting was left up to me. Now, she has 2 completely different sets of rules. Her father and I disagree on almost everything from punishments to her friends. Now the worst part.

He is now without a drivers license and will be going to court for his 2nd DWI within 5 years. This has made matters even worse. He can not take her anywhere or pick her up friends, dr. appt. etc. He has told me that his license will be suspended for at least a year and there is a very good chance he may have some jail time. Can I get custody changed because of this? If so, would it only be while he is serving his sentence or can I get it permently changed.
Q: Can I get custody changed because of this?

A: The only sure way to answer that is for you to hire a lawyer and try to get the judgment in your lawsuit amended.

claw06

confused..

Judgement in my lawsuit? Did you mean my divorce decree? Sorry, but I just want to be very clear on your advise. Thanks

seniorjudge

claw06 said:
Judgement in my lawsuit? Did you mean my divorce decree? Sorry, but I just want to be very clear on your advise. Thanks
Yes, a dissolution of marriage is a lawsuit and you get a judgment when you finish. Different states may call it different things, such as a divorce decree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">