• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hacking...teenager

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

needhelpCA

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA

Lets say the school thinks that a 17 years old boy (JUST TURNED 17 that month) uses a keylogger to change his and others students grades. The school catches him, they make him admit that he did it (he didn't do it, or atleast not alone, but he is being loyal to his friends and is not ratting on them). so the school thinks he did it, they are going to have a district hearing this week, and have already reported him to the cops.

the police have been to the house with a search warrant...took pc...didnt find anything else...left. they say it is a hacking case...which means, felony.

Now my question is,
1.how bad is this really? what is the worst they can do to him if he is found guilty of this felony (i already feel as though he will for sure get expelled from the hS, but what else...jail? fines?)

2. can they transfer this to adult court? (I hope not...but he just turned 17, and a junior in HS)

3. my parents can't afford a lawyer right now and were planning on just going to the hearing (for the school) this wed without a lawyer...can the outcome of this wednesday thing affect his court date in like 2 months? are they related? or he will pretty much get expeled, and we just have to prepare and get a lawyer for the real court in 2 months.

4. when he is applieing to college. and lets say he is 18, can we seal the records? and if yes, does he still need to check "yes" for any past felonies?

he is a very very very very bright student and the only reason he MIIIIIIIIGHT have thaought about doing such thing, would simply be because of the pressure teenagers are udner to get good grades and get to a good univ. HE ALWAYS GETS HIIIIIIIIIGHT A's on all tests for AP physics, AP calc, AP stat, etc. but neve does his hw, and that is why his grades suffer.

HOPE MY QUESTIONS MADE SENSE...i really need any proffesional help i can get, I am really worried about this situation.

please try and answer my 4 quesions if possible...ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRICIATED.

Just Blue

Get an attorney...NOW!!...Your brother is in bit trouble...sell something if you have to ..but get a lawyer!!

Some Random Guy

The school catches him, they make him admit that he did it (he didn't do it, or atleast not alone, but he is being loyal to his friends and is not ratting on them
Nice pussyfooting around the topic. He did it. Period.

1.how bad is this really?
I would be shocked if he wasn't expelled. If he is to get any deal from the prosecution I would expect that naming accomplices and identifying all grades changed would be part of that.

A keylogger shows planning and intent. This was not just a kid who was acciedntally left alone in a room with a teacher's computer logged in.

The amount of jail time would depend on the exact statute you are charged under, and whether there are multiple charges.

3. my parents can't afford a lawyer right now and were planning on just going to the hearing (for the school) this wed without a lawyer...can the outcome of this wednesday thing affect his court date in like 2 months? are they related? or he will pretty much get expeled, and we just have to prepare and get a lawyer for the real court in 2 months.
Ever hear the phrase: "Anything you say can be used against you in a court of law..." Get a lawyer. Only bring a lawyer to the hearing on Wed if you want to fight expulsion or plan on telling your side of the story.

4. when he is applieing to college. and lets say he is 18, can we seal the records? and if yes, does he still need to check "yes" for any past felonies?
Sealing the records will depend on what he is convicted of and in what court. Worry about jail first, then college. In fact, any money saved for college may be better spent on a lawyer.

needhelpCA

Some Random Guy said:
Nice pussyfooting around the topic. He did it. Period.

I would be shocked if he wasn't expelled. If he is to get any deal from the prosecution I would expect that naming accomplices and identifying all grades changed would be part of that.

A keylogger shows planning and intent. This was not just a kid who was acciedntally left alone in a room with a teacher's computer logged in.

The amount of jail time would depend on the exact statute you are charged under, and whether there are multiple charges.

Ever hear the phrase: "Anything you say can be used against you in a court of law..." Get a lawyer. Only bring a lawyer to the hearing on Wed if you want to fight expulsion or plan on telling your side of the story.

Sealing the records will depend on what he is convicted of and in what court. Worry about jail first, then college. In fact, any money saved for college may be better spent on a lawyer.
teenager...school related...changing grades...
HOW COULD THAT RESULT IN JAIL? he is no treat to the public...

COuld you be sentenced to jail for hacking? as a 17 years old HS student?

needhelpCA

ALSO... please tell me what will result in him being transfered to an adult court from juveline (IN CALIFORNIA)...do all 17 yrs olds get transfered automaticly...? he JUUUUUST turned 17.

Just Blue

needhelpCA said:
ALSO... please tell me what will result in him being transfered to an adult court from juveline (IN CALIFORNIA)...do all 17 yrs olds get transfered automaticly...? he JUUUUUST turned 17.

He very well could get charged as an adult...that is why you need to treat this very seriously and get a lawyer...like right now...

CdwJava

needhelpCA said:
The school catches him, they make him admit that he did it (he didn't do it, or atleast not alone, but he is being loyal to his friends and is not ratting on them).
I just love that term "ratting" ... It implies that there is actually some honor among thieves!

If he wants to take the rap himself, he can go right ahead. I doubt his friends would be as "loyal" as he is if they got in trouble. He's been watching a little too much TV.

And this is NOT a case of shoplifting - this a serious felony and has the chance of being a federal matter as well. It is conceivable he can do PRISON time!!

the police have been to the house with a search warrant...took pc...didnt find anything else...left. they say it is a hacking case...which means, felony.
Corrections - MULTIPLE felonies ... and both federal and state ones, ta boot!

1.how bad is this really? what is the worst they can do to him if he is found guilty of this felony (i already feel as though he will for sure get expelled from the hS, but what else...jail? fines?)
He could be found guilty in both state and federal courts (if charged) and could potentially be charged and punished as an adult! So, prison and huge fines could be in his future.

2. can they transfer this to adult court? (I hope not...but he just turned 17, and a junior in HS)
Yes, they can. It depends on the specific charges he is accused of (code sections) and the attitude of the DA.

3. my parents can't afford a lawyer right now and were planning on just going to the hearing (for the school) this wed without a lawyer
They will need to make application for a public defender. He will NEED an attorney.

If charged as a minor he can likely get the record sealed in a few years, but he may still have to indicate "yes" when asked if he had been convicted of any felonies even if the record is sealed.

If convicted as an adult of felonies, don't expect them to ever be dropped or expunged.

he is a very very very very bright student and the only reason he MIIIIIIIIGHT have thaought about doing such thing, would simply be because of the pressure teenagers are udner to get good grades and get to a good univ.
The peer pressure tale is an old one and does not generally get legs. Unless they held a gun to his head, he made the decision to take action on his own. He will have to face the music.

Plus, since he refuses to dime off his pals, he will have a tough time even making the argument of peer pressure since there are apparently no peers to apply said pressure.

HE ALWAYS GETS HIIIIIIIIIGHT A's on all tests for AP physics, AP calc, AP stat, etc. but neve does his hw, and that is why his grades suffer.
I did that, too. But I still managed to get accepted into a prestigious private university in CA ... I didn't go, but that was a financial reason. I never thought of falsifying anything.

- Carl

needhelpCA

CdwJava said:
I just love that term "ratting" ... It implies that there is actually some honor among thieves!

If he wants to take the rap himself, he can go right ahead. I doubt his friends would be as "loyal" as he is if they got in trouble. He's been watching a little too much TV.

And this is NOT a case of shoplifting - this a serious felony and has the chance of being a federal matter as well. It is conceivable he can do PRISON time!!

He could be found guilty in both state and federal courts (if charged) and could potentially be charged and punished as an adult! So, prison and huge fines could be in his future.

Yes, they can. It depends on the specific charges he is accused of (code sections) and the attitude of the DA.

They will need to make application for a public defender. He will NEED an attorney.

If charged as a minor he can likely get the record sealed in a few years, but he may still have to indicate "yes" when asked if he had been convicted of any felonies even if the record is sealed.

If convicted as an adult of felonies, don't expect them to ever be dropped or expunged.

The peer pressure tale is an old one and does not generally get legs. Unless they held a gun to his head, he made the decision to take action on his own. He will have to face the music.

Plus, since he refuses to dime off his pals, he will have a tough time even making the argument of peer pressure since there are apparently no peers to apply said pressure.

I did that, too. But I still managed to get accepted into a prestigious private university in CA ... I didn't go, but that was a financial reason. I never thought of falsifying anything.

- Carl
The school principles and etc. had promised my parents that they would not take this any further...they said that the worst that can happen is that he will get kicked out of school.

So does that mean anything? like they went ahead and filled charges...i guess they could do that right? even after they said they wouldnt.

the hearing of the school district is this wednesday...can they get a lawyer (the public ones that are given) just by applying for one monday...or is it too late.

LAST WEDNESDAY was the last day my parents could have applied to have the hearing rescheduled for a later date...at that time, they were ready to go and deal with this. NOW, since the school filled charges...it is a bigger deal and they just found out about it on friday (after the last day to reschedule)...is there anyway they can reschedule? can the results of the school hearing affect him in court in two months? how serious is this school district hearing?

needhelpCA

CdwJava said:

- Carl
I never said peer pressure...i said pressure.

Meaning from parents, himself...from everywhere...to do well and get into a good university. The kind of pressure that is foudn only on teenagers at that age. That is their main concerna and A LOT OF PRESSURE IS ON THEM...their future depends on those grades. and eventough it is COMPLETLEY WRONG...i can see why one would want to change his grades. again...I KNOW IT IS WRONG...HORRIBLE,etc. BUT UNDERSTANDABLE from a teenager who is involved in all kinds of sports, clubs, AP classes and is trying to get into a univ. we all wish he didnt do it...and getting to a place with cheating is wrong...but that kind of pressure will make a minor do wrong things.

needhelpCA

so felonies can result in JAIL TIME? just like that...doesnt even have to be like murder or gun, drug related?

a stupid teenager tries to change grades...JAIL?
I am surprized...and wish it were not true...

Just Blue

needhelpCA said:
I never said peer pressure...i said pressure.

Meaning from parents, himself...from everywhere...to do well and get into a good university. The kind of pressure that is foudn only on teenagers at that age. That is their main concerna and A LOT OF PRESSURE IS ON THEM...their future depends on those grades. and eventough it is COMPLETLEY WRONG...i can see why one would want to change his grades. again...I KNOW IT IS WRONG...HORRIBLE,etc. BUT UNDERSTANDABLE from a teenager who is involved in all kinds of sports, clubs, AP classes and is trying to get into a univ. we all wish he didnt do it...and getting to a place with cheating is wrong...but that kind of pressure will make a minor do wrong things.

Thats CRAP!! My daughter is an AP student...4.113 GPA..Has 2 jobs, volunteers at a soup kitchen, in drama, art classes, just excepted into the National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine, ect....And she does it all without cheating!! The worst thing you can do is to excuse this behavior!

needhelpCA

baystategirl said:
Thats CRAP!! My daughter is an AP student...4.113 GPA..Has 2 jobs, volunteers at a soup kitchen, in drama, art classes, just excepted into the National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine, ect....And she does it all without cheating!! The worst thing you can do is to excuse this behavior!
relax...i did not excuse it...i said it was wrong...I MYSELF AM A VERY HARDWORKING STUPID AT A GREAT UNIV. IN CALIFORNIA...trust me I do all that your daughter does and more...and AM FURIOUS when i see any type of cheating...

i am sorry if what i said came out wrong...i am saying it is wrong to change grades...but UNDERSTANDALBE WHHHHHHHY they would do it.

i can SEE WHY they would do it...i never said it is good...it IS horrible and wrong...

if you still think I am excusing that kind of behavior...then so be it...but i am not making excuses I am just saying it is not a JAIL type of CRIME!!!

do you think he should go to jail for it?

Just Blue

needhelpCA said:
relax...i did not excuse it...i said it was wrong...I MYSELF AM A VERY HARDWORKING STUPID AT A GREAT UNIV. IN CALIFORNIA...trust me I do all that your daughter does and more...and AM FURIOUS when i see any type of cheating...

i am sorry if what i said came out wrong...i am saying it is wrong to change grades...but UNDERSTANDALBE WHHHHHHHY they would do it.

i can SEE WHY they would do it...i never said it is good...it IS horrible and wrong...

if you still think I am excusing that kind of behavior...then so be it...but i am not making excuses I am just saying it is not a JAIL type of CRIME!!!

do you think he should go to jail for it?

Yeah...I actually do!! You're not getting how bad what he did is!! He used a keylogger!! This is well thought out and deliberate crime! You think of it as a "kiddy" thing...its a VERY adult crime!! ...YOU NEED TO GET HIM A LAWYER!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">