• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost everything in a fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

punkinpant

: Illinois
I My boyfriends father bought a condo for him. Dad kept it in his name I shared this condo with my boyfriend for two years. The building had 15 units. A few months ago there was a fire in the building. I was not there but my boyfriend was. He lost his life. I lost everything I owned in the world.
My boyfriend had a small insurance policy that covered personal possessions.

His father told me to list everything of min and my boyfriends things together and he was going to handle it. Now he tells me that I am not getting anything for my losses. I have a 5 month old child with down syndrome, no money, I am living with friends. Is thus leagel Am I not intitled to something ?What is the name of your state?

justalayman

punkinpant said:
: Illinois
I My boyfriends father bought a condo for him. Dad kept it in his name I shared this condo with my boyfriend for two years. The building had 15 units. A few months ago there was a fire in the building. I was not there but my boyfriend was. He lost his life. I lost everything I owned in the world.
My boyfriend had a small insurance policy that covered personal possessions.

His father told me to list everything of min and my boyfriends things together and he was going to handle it. Now he tells me that I am not getting anything for my losses. I have a 5 month old child with down syndrome, no money, I am living with friends. Is thus leagel Am I not intitled to something ?What is the name of your state?
Why would you be entitled to anything? Did you have an insurance policy on your belongings?

Unless the father has some responsibility for the fire, I fail to see why he would owe you anything from this.

punkinpant

Because I have a lease. And because he is collecting the insurance money on my belongings. He is also taking the money from the insurance company is paying every month for a place to live.While I am homeless And because it is the right thing to do.

S

shell007

justalayman said:
Why would you be entitled to anything? Did you have an insurance policy on your belongings?

Unless the father has some responsibility for the fire, I fail to see why he would owe you anything from this.
I agree with justalayman. YOU should have had YOUR OWN policy for YOUR personal belongings. Dad owes you nothing!!!

Sorry for yous loss. :(

justalayman

punkinpant said:
Because I have a lease. And because he is collecting the insurance money on my belongings. He is also taking the money from the insurance company is paying every month for a place to live.While I am homeless And because it is the right thing to do.
Please don't take this wrong, I do feel sorry for you and your situation.

And because he is collecting the insurance money on my belongings
Please explain this. How is the father collecting insurance money on your belongings?

He is also taking the money from the insurance company is paying every month for a place to live.
He owns the building. He is entitled to whatever the insurance policy he bought provides him for the fire. That is why you needed your own policy which would have covered your losses.

.While I am homeless And because it is the right thing to do.
While it would be nice if he would help you but I see nothing that would require him to help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">