• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

desertion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lilrey

My husband and I have been separated for 8mos now (married in NJ which he still resides and I reside in CT.) He wants to file for divorce under catagory of desertion. Claiming I deserted the premises. We purchased a home together and in order for him to obtain the mortgage in his own name he must provide a copy of the divorce creed. However, prior to me vacating the premises we signed an agreement stating specific conditions and a date as to when I was to vacate the premises. Therefore, I don't agree with the divorce papers being catagorized as desertion because the fact that we both sighned a legal binding agreement makes him aware of my intentions and that agreed to them. Evidently he is now in some sort of rush to get a divorce and wants to file under dersertion b/c in order to file under this catagory we must be separated for a 12mos., which is not quite 12 mos b/c date I vacated premises was 5/1/00, but yet he wants me to lie and say I deserted (not vacated) premises on 12/1/99. What I want to know is what exactly will filing under derertion entail and how does that implicate or impact me in any way? What are my options, I'd prefer to wait until 18mos are up and just file under separation as opposed to desertion. B/c as stated above we both agreed to conditions of me vacating premises. Also what rights do I have being 1/2 ownership of our property even though I was the one who choses to leave?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">