• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint bank account in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

iggy

My mother and brother have a joint bank account in Texas set up after my father died. My brother and his wife are having problems if they get a divorce how can this account be affected? Can my brothers wife bring this into divorce court or have any rights to this account because Texas is a community property state?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

iggy said:
My mother and brother have a joint bank account in Texas set up after my father died. My brother and his wife are having problems if they get a divorce how can this account be affected? Can my brothers wife bring this into divorce court or have any rights to this account because Texas is a community property state?
My response:

No. As long as the money can be traced back to Mom, only. But, therein lies the rub.

If your brother wants to keep your Mom's account private, and doesn't want to drag her into a deposition, and have an CPA pour over all of her financials, then I would suggest that he remove his name from the account(s).

Now, I understand the reasons why his name is on the account - - heck, I did that for my mother also; but, I'm merely suggesting that during this turbulent time that he keep his name off of any accounts that don't belong to him.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">