• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Renter's Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boyersa

California
I have resided in an upscale apartment complex in South Orange County for the past 4 years. My most recent yearly lease was signed in December of 2005 (to extend to February 07). This morning I found an envelope at my front door (apparently distributed by the rental office) stating that I MUST purchase renter's insurance. This request feels somewhat arbitrary in nature. The language of the lease "recommends" renter's insurance, but this is the first time I have heard any mention of insurance being a mandatory requirement. Does the management company have a right to enforce this rule in the middle of a yearly lease agreement?
California

seniorjudge

boyersa said:
California
I have resided in an upscale apartment complex in South Orange County for the past 4 years. My most recent yearly lease was signed in December of 2005 (to extend to February 07). This morning I found an envelope at my front door (apparently distributed by the rental office) stating that I MUST purchase renter's insurance. This request feels somewhat arbitrary in nature. The language of the lease "recommends" renter's insurance, but this is the first time I have heard any mention of insurance being a mandatory requirement. Does the management company have a right to enforce this rule in the middle of a yearly lease agreement?
California
Do you have even HALF of a good reason not to get renter's insurance?

My response:

No, the management cannot enforce the "rule" - - not at this point. But, when it comes time to sign a new lease, either they won't allow you to sign, or the contract will be changed to make it a requirement.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't be caught dead without such insurance if I was a renter. It's cheap, and would be one of the best investments in yourself you'll ever make.

I would recommend you buy Renter's Insurance as soon as possible.

IAAL

My further response:

Wait a moment . . . I may have spoken too soon.

Is there a clause in your agreement that says that management reserves the right to change or modify any of the terms or conditions? If so, please write the EXACT verbiage for review and further comment.

IAAL

Hot Topic

Unfortunately, many renters believe they're covered by the landlord's insurance in case of a disaster. They're not.

By the way, earthquake insurance must be obtained from the State of California. It's not part of most renters' insurance policies.

ENASNI

CALIF-LAWPRO62 said:
My further response:

Wait a moment . . . I may have spoken too soon.

Is there a clause in your agreement that says that management reserves the right to change or modify any of the terms or conditions? If so, please write the EXACT verbiage for review and further comment.

IAAL

Regardless of what is the prudent thing to do, answer this man's question and get the LEGAL answer.

boyersa

I don't have a copy of the most recent document I signed so will have to request it from the management company. If the wording has changed from the orginal lease document, I intend to comply. For my own safety, I realize it's a good idea to have the insurance.

ecmst12

Get Renters Insurance.

The landlord's insurance might cover damage to the building through something other then your negligence. It will NOT cover your stuff, and it will not protect you if you manage to cause damage to the property. You also need to be protected in case someone is injured in your apartment; that could be your responsibilty rather then the LL depending on the circumstances.

I understand not liking being compelled to do anything, but this is something you should have done years ago anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">