• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bill of Sale - Notarized or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wufpack

What is the name of your state? Florida
I need to know if a bill of sale is required to be notarized or witnessed in the state of Florida.
Animal Control has my dog and said that a letter from the person I bought him from is not sufficient proof of ownership.
There is much more to this, but right now my main goal is proving ownership and proceeding from there.

tigger22472

Wufpack said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
I need to know if a bill of sale is required to be notarized or witnessed in the state of Florida.
Animal Control has my dog and said that a letter from the person I bought him from is not sufficient proof of ownership.
There is much more to this, but right now my main goal is proving ownership and proceeding from there.
Did you ask THEM what they considered proof of ownership was?

Wufpack

tigger22472 said:
Did you ask THEM what they considered proof of ownership was?
Yes, and they said "Ask your Lawyer"

To be honest, they don't know what the heck they are doing!

tigger22472

Wufpack said:
Yes, and they said "Ask your Lawyer"

To be honest, they don't know what the heck they are doing!
You have to have a lawyer to get your dog out of impound?

You are really likely going to have to provide more details before anyone here could help you on this matter.

Wufpack

tigger22472 said:
You have to have a lawyer to get your dog out of impound?

You are really likely going to have to provide more details before anyone here could help you on this matter.
Friday my sister was supposed to be moving so I took my dog Roy over there Thursday evening to help her load up her goats the next morning as he is a trained sheep dog. The transporter who was going to move hte animals broke down and said he would be there sunday. The new owners of the property, the closing had been tuesday but my sister still had posession of the property, asked her to move them that day as htey had a tractor coming saturday to do some work on teh yard. My sister made arrangements to move them 5 miles down the road. Before my sister could move the animals I got a call at work from her saying that animal control and the sheriffs department were at her house and I could I please go over their until she could get there. I asked my sister where the dogs were and she said they were at our mothers house, which is where she was leaving from. When i got to teh property I was told that the new property owners contacted animal control adn sked them to remove the animals and that they had faxed a sugned, not notarized, letter to teh shelter giving them permission to remove the animals. All of this time I assumed Roy was at my mothers house with teh other dogs as I never saw him. I left the property after my sister arrived and returned 20 minutes later and they were already loading the animals. My sister said there was nothing to be done until monday so I went home, still believeing that my dog was at my mothers house. Saturday I was gone all day and was unreachable. Sunday morning when I called my sister to tell her to bring Roy home when she came to go to dinner she told me that my dog had been on teh property friday and was now in the posession of Animal control. I immediately called and spoke with teh officer on call and was told to come to teh shelter monday morning with his rabies certificate nad proof of ownership and speak with the director. When I arrived their the director looked at my paperwork and called over the officer that had been at the property friday, officer claimed that the Police officer on the scene had asked me if I owned any of the animals on the property and that I had answered him no, i promptly informed her that "NO, the officer had never asked me that and that even if he had I had been told that the dogs were at my mothers house so I did not even know he was on teh property at the time". They then said that the letter I had from the person i bought the dog from was not a legal document and when asked what was they said, "I don't know you will have to ask you lawyer". I was too ticked off after that to really argue with tehm anymore. The director said that once she received all of her paperwork she would determine if she could return my dog to me. When i called yesterday she said she still did not have all of the paperwork.
What gets me is they are saying my signed peice of paper is not a legal document, but that is all they had from the property owner giving them permission, and they conclude that that was a legal document. What is the difference?
Plus the property ownrs are claiming that animal control contacted them, while animal control say's that they were contacted by the property owners.
I can't get a straight answer from anyone.
I just want my dog back!!

Wufpack

seniorjudge said:
????????????????????????????????
I posted this on 2 categories YESTERDAY morning as I wasn't sure which was the correct one.
I am just trying to find a lawyer who can help me to get my dog out. My sisters lawyer is only interested in getting her animals released, and the shelter keeps giving me the run around.
I apologize if I did something wrong here!

Beth
You people on here are just real a$$ holes!

tiggertiffin87

Maybe you should try asking the people who sold you the dog to try and get your dog out of impound. Or try getting a notarized bill of sale. Also you could try getting advise from lawyers.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">