• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Separation/Divorce in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Neko

Four questions:

Is legal separation required before filing for divorce in California? If so, how long is it?

Is my spouse automatically eligible to half of my retirement fund even if he doesn't want it?

Is a "no-fault" divorce available in Califonia?

How much does the divorce cost if we do it ourselves instead of using a lawyer?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Neko said:
Four questions:

Is legal separation required before filing for divorce in California? If so, how long is it?

ANSWER: No. You can "go for the gusto" right from the start.

Is my spouse automatically eligible to half of my retirement fund even if he doesn't want it?

ANSWER: Nothing is "automatic" when it comes to divorce. However, if he's willing to waive it in writing, then there's never a chance of it "being on the negotiating table".

Is a "no-fault" divorce available in Califonia?

ANSWER: California is a No-Fault divorce State. Has been so for many, many, years. In some States, there is both Fault and No Fault. In California, though, you get one choice: "Irreconcilable Differences" - - that's it.

How much does the divorce cost if we do it ourselves instead of using a lawyer?

ANSWER: In terms of dollars and cents, very cheap. Filing Fee is $192.00. However, in terms of making a mistake, it can be extremely costly. Use an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">