• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Seraphim

My husband and i will be married for 3 years in the end of febuary. He is in jail in mississippi for domestic abuse, cruelty to animals, small possession of marijuana seeds, and resisting arrest. I'm in Ohio with my parents. I've been here for 3 months now. I grew up here in Ohio for 19 years and was only gone for a few years. The state is saying that I have to live here for 6 months before i can get a divorce. Is there any way around that? I want to hurry up and get this over with. My little girl is up here with me. i want to get on with my life. I also don't have the money for a lawyer. Is there any way I can get legal aid in northeastern Ohio. I don't even know where to start. Is there any way to get this over with quick and painlessly? Please, I need help asap.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Seraphim said:
My husband and i will be married for 3 years in the end of febuary. He is in jail in mississippi for domestic abuse, cruelty to animals, small possession of marijuana seeds, and resisting arrest. I'm in Ohio with my parents. I've been here for 3 months now. I grew up here in Ohio for 19 years and was only gone for a few years. The state is saying that I have to live here for 6 months before i can get a divorce. Is there any way around that? I want to hurry up and get this over with. My little girl is up here with me. i want to get on with my life. I also don't have the money for a lawyer. Is there any way I can get legal aid in northeastern Ohio. I don't even know where to start. Is there any way to get this over with quick and painlessly? Please, I need help asap.

My response:

Unfortunately, you are required by law to satisfy the residency requirements (jurisdiction) of the State of Ohio, as you would in any State. Some States are longer, and others are shorter, with 6 months being the average.

You can try calling the State Bar of Ohio (call information operator for number) and see if they have a "Pro Bono" panel of Family Law lawyers. If they do, ask for a referral. If they don't, call various attorneys to see if any will take monthly payments.

There is no quick method to divorce, and your attorney must give Notice to your husband. You can't divorce in secret.

Good luck.

IAAL

S

Seraphim

Thanx

Thank you for your reply. I didn't think it would be quick or easy, but i thought i'd try. Thank you for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">