• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

way to decrease wage garnishment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mochasgirl

What is the name of your state? Idaho

I am currently being garnished for past due medical bills, and have a pending judgement for additional medical bills after this garnishment is met. The garnishment puts me into an extremely difficult situation, having to completely support my four kids. I have been told by my doctors to apply for disability, and I am currently under medical care. I don't want to apply for disability because I want to work, and continue my education. I am 2 semesters away from my degree in nursing. The past due medical bills were for sugeries (I had 7 surgeries in a matter of 12 months), and was not insured for part of the them. The hospital I went to is a not for profit hospital. In addition to the hospital, there are the doctors, labs, supplies, pathologists, and numerous others that were advising on my case. I am just wondering if there is any way to decrease the amount that they are taking out of my check, which is 25%. I have had to apply for some state assistance to help due to these garnishments, where before I was able to be self sufficient.
Thank you.

Debt Guy

About all you can do if file a motion with the court for hardship. In some states, the judge has the authority to consider hardship.

You will actually need to file this as a written document and you will be required to serve a copy of it to the creditor's attorney.

I'm not sure your state allows for such a thing.

I suggest you call the local United Way and/or the County Bar Association. Ask if they have legal aid for the indigent.

If not, you will have to try to do this yourself. In that case, you should go down to the courthouse and talk to the court clerk. Just explain what you are trying to do and ask if they have an forms for that type of motion or if they can show you an example.

Good luck.

mochasgirl

I have considered filing bankruptcy, but the cost to file is $750 here, which I don't have. I feel like I should pay my own bills, but I just thought that maybe they could decrease the garnishment for a time. I will look into the legal assistance for the low income. Thanks for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">