• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Withdrew Funds on a check that had a Stop Payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Pa

I deposited my payroll check last week. I have a sales job that pays commissions and base pay. My employer placed a stop payment on my check becasue I left the company, and I wasnt entitled to commissions for the last week..so they say. I cashed the check, which was for over $2500 and paid my bills. Now, my credit union calls me and says that it came back and there is a stop payment and my account is overdrawn by more that $2500. Can my credit union come after me and sue me? Or can this be treated as a criminal matter and can they file criminal charges against me? Its not like I wrote a check to myself and bounced it, this was a check made out to me. What can happen here?

seniorjudge

Q: Can my credit union come after me and sue me?

A: Yes.

Q: Can this be treated as a criminal matter and can they file criminal charges against me?

A: Yes, but (if what you say is 100% true) then the government would be hard pressed to show your intent.

What if I partially pay down the overdraft and make a deposit? Can they still come after me for a bad check charge or anything like that if I am making deposits into the account. Becasue how can they come after me for a $2500 check, if I deposit $1000 in my account? Do banks let people make payments to them in a case like this?

seniorjudge

What if I partially pay down the overdraft and make a deposit? Can they still come after me for a bad check charge or anything like that if I am making deposits into the account. Becasue how can they come after me for a $2500 check, if I deposit $1000 in my account? Do banks let people make payments to them in a case like this?
You should ask the bank your questions, not us. It doesn't make any difference what we say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">