• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on Car that was Totaled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Pa

I recently had an accident that totaled my car. Its a 2006 and I paid it off, and in the process of waiting for the title to come from the finance company. I heard rumors of people telling me that insurance companies give you 50% of the total value of the car untill they get the title when its totaled. Is this correct? I dont know how this process works.

No. I was just asking what the procedure is when a car is totaled. I was told that 50% is paid out before they get the title, and the rest is paid out later. I'm just clarifying if thats the case.

seniorjudge

No. I was just asking what the procedure is when a car is totaled. I was told that 50% is paid out before they get the title, and the rest is paid out later. I'm just clarifying if thats the case.
Sounds like double work to me.

Ask your insurance agent.

racer72

There is no percentage. If the car is totalled, you will be given the fair market value for the car and you also give up ownership of the vehicle. The percentage of the value to determine if a car is totalled is up to the insurance company, some have a higher percentage than others. If you want to keep totalled vehicle, you can buy it back for it's value as a total and will have to reapply for a new title after the vehicle is made legal of operate on the road. In your case, you would be issued a salvage title.

I

ISUE4YOU2

What is the name of your state? Pa

I recently had an accident that totaled my car. Its a 2006 and I paid it off, and in the process of waiting for the title to come from the finance company. I heard rumors of people telling me that insurance companies give you 50% of the total value of the car untill they get the title when its totaled. Is this correct? I dont know how this process works.
Each insurance company has its own procedure for handling total loss settlements, but normally they pay the loan out of the settlement and, upon receipt of the title, pay you the balance of the settlement. Since you decided to pay it off, I doubt they will pay you anything until you give them the title. The easiest way to find out is to ask them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">