• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

got sent home early-- i know i should be paid!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smilincin

What is the name of your state? california

I am a server. They put a lot of people on this week because they thought it would be busy. I got sent home after being at work for 45 minutes. I worked a whole hour and 10 minutes. I know the law says im supposed to be paid for an 2 hours or half my work day whichever is greater, but how do i make this happen without getting myself screwed:( ?
My work manages to get away with a lot of crap because if you say something, well they just cut your hours back or otherwise make your life hell. I know its called work and all, and life is unfair, but there are laws!!! I told my boss it would have been nice had she called me and just not have me come in, and she got pissy. I'm just mad!

BelizeBreeze

I am a server. They put a lot of people on this week because they thought it would be busy. I got sent home after being at work for 45 minutes. I worked a whole hour and 10 minutes. I know the law says im supposed to be paid for an 2 hours or half my work day whichever is greater, but how do i make this happen without getting myself screwed:( ?
And what law is this?
My work manages to get away with a lot of crap because if you say something, well they just cut your hours back or otherwise make your life hell. I know its called work and all, and life is unfair, but there are laws!!! I told my boss it would have been nice had she called me and just not have me come in, and she got pissy. I'm just mad!
who cares? This is not Dr. Phil, it's a legal advice site. Post this so-called law you referred to.

smilincin

i care!
here is a reply from another lawyer to someone with a similar situation:

If the employee reports to work and there is no work, the employee must be paid for at least half of the hours he/she was scheduled to work. In no event is this amount to be less than two or more than four hours. For example, if the employee was scheduled to work eight (or more) hours, he/she receives four hours pay. If the employee was scheduled for four hours or fewer of work, he/she must be paid for two hours.
This does not apply when public utilities fail, such as water, gas, electricity or sewer. or when work is interrupted by an act of God or other causes not within the employer's control. A computer failure is not an act of God or cause beyond the employer's control. You are entitled to 2.5 hours pay.

Reply Posted By:
Thomas Pavone [view profile]
Pavone & Cohen
16055 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 1130
Encino, CA 91436

and if you dont know the law then why are you replying to my post? im not making it up-- it's common knowledge actually, but my point was more about how do i implement it, or can i contact the labor board and if anyone has any ADVICE about that.

Silverplum

i care!
here is a reply from another lawyer to someone with a similar situation:

If the employee reports to work and there is no work, the employee must be paid for at least half of the hours he/she was scheduled to work. In no event is this amount to be less than two or more than four hours. For example, if the employee was scheduled to work eight (or more) hours, he/she receives four hours pay. If the employee was scheduled for four hours or fewer of work, he/she must be paid for two hours.
This does not apply when public utilities fail, such as water, gas, electricity or sewer. or when work is interrupted by an act of God or other causes not within the employer's control. A computer failure is not an act of God or cause beyond the employer's control. You are entitled to 2.5 hours pay.

Reply Posted By:
Thomas Pavone [view profile]
Pavone & Cohen
16055 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 1130
Encino, CA 91436

and if you dont know the law then why are you replying to my post? im not making it up-- it's common knowledge actually, but my point was more about how do i implement it, or can i contact the labor board and if anyone has any ADVICE about that.
I note that T. Pavone didn't cite the law, either...:rolleyes:
Maybe HE will help you with your questions.

smilincin

sigh:confused:
can you guys just accept that perhaps this IS a law. Im not requesting people to QUESTION the law, just perhaps tell me a better way of implementing it. Maybe, if everyone is so AWARE of the law they could tell me how they know that it ISNT a law, or perhaps actually HELP me by showing me how i can look it up, or back to my first question-- HOW TO IMPLEMENT IT w/o getting in trouble at my work. If this is a legal advice site, it sure would be helpful if someone actually had some advice, cuz im not seein it! lol

Silverplum

sigh:confused:
can you guys just accept that perhaps this IS a law. Im not requesting people to QUESTION the law, just perhaps tell me a better way of implementing it. Maybe, if everyone is so AWARE of the law they could tell me how they know that it ISNT a law, or perhaps actually HELP me by showing me how i can look it up, or back to my first question-- HOW TO IMPLEMENT IT w/o getting in trouble at my work. If this is a legal advice site, it sure would be helpful if someone actually had some advice, cuz im not seein it! lol
So you think you'll get free help with that attitude?
*snort!*

smilincin

thanks for all your NOT help-- dont need your (HAHAHA-what?) advice? never did get any. Anyhow, I just got off the phone with an actual HELPFUL attorney, and he did indeed quote the law. Because he actually KNOWS the law-- as opposed to the NOTHING i received here. So i got my question answered-- go back to doing nothing.

BelizeBreeze

thanks for all your NOT help-- dont need your (HAHAHA-what?) advice? never did get any. Anyhow, I just got off the phone with an actual HELPFUL attorney, and he did indeed quote the law. Because he actually KNOWS the law-- as opposed to the NOTHING i received here. So i got my question answered-- go back to doing nothing.
YOU said "I know there is a law" so cite it. Or cite the law you were told from this anonymous attorney.

BelizeBreeze

and while you're at it, since you like showing off, when is your regularly scheduled work shift and was this one of those days?

BelizeBreeze

If you think the law has been violated, file a claim with your state department of labor.
I answered this alreayd in another thread. There IS no law....but there is something which if this idiot would have answered the questions, would have resulted in a definitative answer ;)

ecmst12

Yeah, but if OP calls the DOL, he/she can get the definitive answer from them and won't be bothering us anymore :)

moburkes

45 minutes does NOT equal 70 minutes. Let's start there.

BelizeBreeze

45 minutes does NOT equal 70 minutes. Let's start there.
I'm not going to rehash this thread. I made an answer on another thread (if you really want to search) but the poster is a jerk and he can do his own research. Suffice it to say there is NO LAW addressing such. That's not to say there MIGHT be something else :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">