• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tresspassing/Squatter Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ketzalitzli

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My father was living with his girlfriend for a couple years. She was never on the lease and never paid rent. In October, they broke up she moved out but kept most her personal belongings at his house because she didn't have any where to put them. My father decided to move to Mexico and left me and my two sisters in charge of packing up the house.

The house was vacant as of 12/8/06. Right before Christmas my sister went to the house and discovered that my dad's ex had moved back in and changed the locks. She hadn't been living there for several months and waited until my dad left the country. Now she says the house belongs to her. She refuses to leave. We called the police and they made her give us a key to the house since she wasn't supposed to change the locks; however, she was extremely violent.

What can we do to get her removed from the house? She is trespassing.

BelizeBreeze

Exactly what do you mean, "nothing".. I sincerely hope your not being sarcastic. If you are, then please do not respond to my threads.
I was NOT being sarcastic. I was giving you the legal answer. You have no standing to do anything since you do not own the home.

So, I guess you need to get legal standing right? And how do you think you can do that?

Ketzalitzli

Well, it would be helpful if you give better information in your responses versus vauge and condecending answers that are really not helpful at all. I'm not impressed. Thank you.

seniorjudge

Well, it would be helpful if you give better information in your responses versus vauge and condecending answers that are really not helpful at all. I'm not impressed. Thank you.
No one has been vague or condescending.

Pa will have to take care of his property OR give you the authority to take care of it.

You have no standing to interefere in this situation.

That is neither vague or condescending.

Ketzalitzli

Which is understanding. That is exactly the answer that I needed. However, by merely stating "nothing, next question" would give the impression of being condecending. Why leave such a comment without further explanation when obviously I came here with a legitimate question? Like I said, I'm not impressed with that. I rather have sincerity over such attitude, which was my original impression of that reply. Thank you.

BelizeBreeze

Which is understanding. That is exactly the answer that I needed. However, by merely stating "nothing, next question" would give the impression of being condecending. Why leave such a comment without further explanation when obviously I came here with a legitimate question? Like I said, I'm not impressed with that. I rather have sincerity over such attitude, which was my original impression of that reply. Thank you.
The only legal question you asked was the following:

What can we do to get her removed from the house?

and the ONLY legal answer to that is NOTHING.

Now, contact pa in mexico, have him execute a Specific Power of Attorney for all legal issues pertaining to the home including but not limited to eviction procedures at the U.S. Embassy (or consulate), overnight it to you THEN you can begin eviction proceedings.

Ketzalitzli

its interesting that you didn't just say that in the first place instead of wasting my time with such a simplistic and uninformative "nothing" answer. However, at the same time I recognize that maybe I should have been more specific and said - "what steps do I specifically need to take in order to have the authority to have this tresspasser/squatter removed", but I mistakenly thought it was a given. Yet, thank you for now giving me the answer that I needed with sincerity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">