• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

writhe

What is the name of your state? Florida.

I'm the oldest of 3 kids. I'm 21, sister is 18 and brother is 15. If something should happen to my dad, who gets the life insurance money?
How does this all work?
Who gets his possessions?
What if no will is made out?

I ask this because I think everything would go straight to my stepmother? This worries me very much because she does not get along with us 3 pretty much at all. She is a mental rollercoaster, but that is another story.

I need all the info you people can provide, because this has me VERY worried.

My mother died years ago, and I'm pretty sure she was the beneficiary.

Betty

What is the name of your state? Florida.

I'm the oldest of 3 kids. I'm 21, sister is 18 and brother is 15. If something should happen to my dad, who gets the life insurance money?
How does this all work?
Who gets his possessions?
What if no will is made out?

I ask this because I think everything would go straight to my stepmother? This worries me very much because she does not get along with us 3 pretty much at all. She is a mental rollercoaster, but that is another story.

I need all the info you people can provide, because this has me VERY worried.

My mother died years ago, and I'm pretty sure she was the beneficiary.
Life ins. (unless estate is beneficiary) will go to the bene(s) named in the policy. It passes outside of the estate. If the primary bene is no longer living at the death of the insured, the proceeds will go to the contingent bene(s) named in the policy (if any named). If no beneficiaries are living at the time of the death of the insured, the proceeds will normally pass to the estate of the insured for distribution. If your mother was bene on your dad's ins. pol., it's possible he changed it after her death.
If your dad has a will, estate assets will be distributed to bene(s) as per the will's provisions/instructions after expenses, debts, etc. are paid out of the estate. If he has no will, assets will be distributed as per the intestate (dying w/o a will) succession law of your dad's state of domicle at the time of his death. You can do a web search (google search) under intestate succession law - state of Fl. (if Fl. is where your dad lives) & get this information. If you have a problem doing this, come back & we will help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">