• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

access escrow account?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cindy1

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am custodian of my child's escrow account, a life insurance benefit. The court told me the 2 of us have to go in when he is 18 to get the money. Why can't we access it sooner? College applications are due way before he turns 18.

moburkes

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am custodian of my child's escrow account, a life insurance benefit. The court told me the 2 of us have to go in when he is 18 to get the money. Why can't we access it sooner? College applications are due way before he turns 18.
What does a college APPLICATION have to do with anything?

cindy1

accessing escrow

Colleges can require a certain percentage of all your child's(maybe parents'?) assets to pay tuition (I've heard 25-30%). Tuition will need to be paid prior to his 18th birthday. Even if he takes out student loans, some of this money is required to be used by the college. Also, he'd probably love to get a car, knowing him! I'm trying to make sure his financial aid process goes ok.
I've attended college prep classes with him, so the fact the money can be required as payment is true!

moburkes

Colleges can require a certain percentage of all your child's(maybe parents'?) assets to pay tuition (I've heard 25-30%). Tuition will need to be paid prior to his 18th birthday. Even if he takes out student loans, some of this money is required to be used by the college. Also, he'd probably love to get a car, knowing him! I'm trying to make sure his financial aid process goes ok.
I've attended college prep classes with him, so the fact the money can be required as payment is true!
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">