• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?
Indiana .. Minnesota

Two states listed because the drama takes place between two states. I have a friend in Minnesota who was dating my boyfriend's exwife (confusing yes), they have a baby together. The issue started a long time ago. The exwife threw my boyfriend's daughter (from a previous relationship) down on the floor and shook her which landed her in the hospital it almost killed her. My boyfriend lost custody of her for about a year then got her back. Because of what she did the exwife lost custody of -her- daughter. Also during this time the exwife was pregnant with my boyfriend's son, he took the baby home straight from the hospital and wouldn't let her near him, they went to court and he won custody of the boy. The exwife was put on 8 years house arrest on a felony charge of Neglect of a depdent (she took a plea bargain -- and house arrest for almost kiling a child is a joke). There is a protective order against the exwife, she isn't allowed here because of what she did to the daughter. (confused yet?) She has been to our house three times in the past year, not paid her child support, and is unemployed. Now she was dating this other guy and they have a baby together. She sent the baby to stay with his parents because she couldn't take care of the baby, he was traveling for work at this time. Well he and she broke up for one reason or another. I do know that in Indiana the mother has autocustody. However, the baby was in Minnesota for three months. He was planning on filing custody papers down in Minnesota however she called the police on him and they said he had to bring the baby home. He did not, so she went down to Minnesota (which is a violation of her House Arrest if she didn't have permission.. dunno if she did or not) and talked him into coming back (he's kinda stupid I guess) and he came back. She went down the street to the house of the guy she is sleeping with and called the cops. They came and made him live, and he had to leave the baby. Now he is not sure what to do. Should he still file in Minnesota or should he file through Indiana? What are his chances of actually getting his daughter back? She has lost custody of two of both of her other children for what she did to my boyfriend's daughter. Any help, any links, any advice would be appreciated, I'm usually good at finding this stuff but I am at a loss.

I will top the cake of nicely here.. she told him a few weeks ago that the baby isn't his daughter.. that the father is her oldest daughter's father.. wouldn't that be fraud if she knowingly lied to him about the baby being his? (i know he does need a paternity test, but he doesn't doubt she is his.. looks just like him). thanks in advance, I hope that wasn't too confusing.

I thought I might add that the exwife has not seen my boyfriend's son since he was less than 6 months old (except when she stopped by the house when she wasn't supposed too)..s he is supposed to go through CAPs to see him.. and she only sees her daughter when see feels like it which is once every other month or so..

LdiJ

He has to file in Indiana. He couldn't even file in Minnesota even when the child was there. The child wasn't there long enough.

However, based on mom's track record his chances of getting custody of the child should be very good....assuming that he is the father. However I would strongly recommend that he hire an attorney...an Indiana attorney.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He has to file in Indiana. He couldn't even file in Minnesota even when the child was there. The child wasn't there long enough.

However, based on mom's track record his chances of getting custody of the child should be very good....assuming that he is the father. However I would strongly recommend that he hire an attorney...an Indiana attorney.
What LD said! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">