• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MAINTENANCE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BRENDA DUNCAN

WHEN I ASKED FOR A COUPLE WINDOWS IN MY APARTMENT TO BE WEATHER STRIPPED OR FOR PLASTIC COVERING BE PLACED OVER THEM I WAS INFORMED BY MY APARTMENT MANAGER IT WAS MY RESPONSIBILITY. ONE ROOM IS BEING OCCUPIED BY MY 2 MONTH OLD GRANDSON -- THERE IS SO MUCH COLD AIR COMING THROUGH THIS WINDOW, ICE FORMS ON THE INSIDE! IS THIS TRUE -- AS A TENDENT, AM I RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS MAINTENANCE?

J

jajamase

windows

In Iowa the landlord does not have to provide storm windows. If the window openings contain a single pane of glass vs double or triple panes, in good condition, IE: not cracked or broken, then the LL's obligation is fulfilled. In otherwords, you will have to put up plastic or something else to keep the breeze down. The LL may have it done for you but prepare to pay for it.
This is not legal advice, only experience.

PS Don't use all caps when posting, most readers will not respond if you do. LOL

L

LL

I don't know what state you live in so I won't comment about LL liability.

But It doesn't sound that you have a problem that you can't fix simply by yourself.

Ice on the inside of the window begins with excess humidity.
Look into that. It then condenses out on the cold window pane, and even may freeze if the pane (not the room) is cold enough. This is not unusual in cold climates without anything being wrong (I didnt always live in California). See if you can't reduce the humidity.

If there is cold air blowing, its probably not through the window, but around the frame or the glazing on the window to the pane. Run your hand around the window frame to locate where it is blowing, buy a cheap caulking gun and some painter's caulk and squirt the caulk where you feel air blowing. Spread the caulk into and around the hole with your wetted finger. Another approach or adjunct is to use plumbers putty. Roll a piece around in your hands to soften it up and push it into any holes that you find. Neither of these fixes should cost you more than $5.

In California, LL is required to fix a window which is not watertight (seriously not watertight, not just a little air blowing through, or even drops or a small stream of rainwater, but something that is a genuine health-threatening problem). Most cold-weather states approach your problem by mandating a minimum temperature level and not caring about stuff like air leaks. If the heating system can't keep the room temperature above the minimum, then LL has to do something for you.

D

djdj

YO Brenda.....

Ya gotta learn how to go to Home Depot and ask questions,

You could go out and buy HEAVY thermal lined drapes for your windows to stop some of the cold air from coming in..you do shop at WAL MART right?

Somethings you will have to learn about home maintenence, and being a woman is no excuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">