• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Toy

My landlord said that I have to leave my windows cracked at all times, due to a previous mold problem. My building is not secured, I don't have bars or security locks. The weather is cold, and my son has asthma. What legal steps can I take to prevent this? Please help!!!

D

djdj

UH gee listen to yourself.....

Are you paying for the heat and hot water? if not well he is waisting his money.

BUT>>>>>> The landlord is telling you there is a serious mold problem, and you live there with your kid who has asthma...

YOU are a cruel mother.....

T

Toy

You idiot!!! If you read my message, you would know that my apartment had a previous mold problem, and out of all the units mine has had the lessor problem. I have taken steps to prevent mold in my unit.

You idiot!!! I don't have mold, and if I see some I will wash it down with bleach. The problem is leaving my windows open. This action could cause safety as well as health problems.

You idiot!!! If you cannot read or have trouble understanding, read it over and over until you get it right, and then you may respond, IDIOT!!!

L

LL

If there isn't any mold now, then why do you have to leave the windows open?

D

djdj

HMMMMMMM good question....

also why havent you bought a heavy duty HEPA air cleaner, they are around $150-200 from Sears type stores , that should filter out mold spores and make your son breath better.

And why havent you bought a carpet steam cleaner..hoover has a good one for $229, you can add 2 capfulls of lysol to the water and it will disinfect the carpets.

Thats the minimum you should do for anyone with asthma

SO you have some solutions...

T

Toy

The landlord wants us to keep the windows open to prevent the mold, that I once had, froming coming back. I contacted an environmentalist from the Dept. of Health and he said that leaving a window open would not do anything to prevent the mold, so because of health and safety problems that leaving a window open can cause, it is obviously a bad idea. He did suggest a de-humidifer or just leaving a ceiling fan or fan on low speed so that when I return the house won't be cold. The fan would circulate the stagnant air, which in my case is causing the mold because of the way that the apartment is positioned. The building has had mold problems since before I moved in, in which I was unaware. I have had the most success out of all the tenants in keeping the mold that did return to a minimum.
So in saying all that, I think it is more of a control issue with the landlord, I just wanted to know if I had any legal rights.

D

djdj

So you are NOT going to buy the air cleaner and steam cleaner....

thats YOUR resonsibility as a PARENT to protect your child

L

LL

The landlord can't make you keep the windows open, even if it did cause mold.

T

Toy

Thank you LL. You know what djdjdj or whatever you call yourself, you obviously do not listen or read!!! You sure do have a hard time comprehending. I DON'T HAVE MOLD, so I am obviously doing something right. FYI, I get my carpet professionally cleaned every two to three months and I have been checking into the Hepa Filter, but nontheless, you obviously did not understand the original question. It all boils down to the windows, your replies are not necessary, you only give me a headache.

D

djdj

NO the landlord cannot force you to keep our windows open..

But as long as the landlord is paying for the heat, why not amuse him, when he is around.

Oh if the place is that unsafe, why do you live there?

Because its cheap thats why.

T

Toy

OKAY djdjdjIDIOT, you win. No matter how hard I try, it is much too hard to comunicate with someone of your level of comprehension, I'm sure you have some personal problems. So go ahead and reply as long as your little heart desires, I will no longer read or reply. Thanks for the amusement of your stupidity!!!

Thanks LL I will read that thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">