• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

World's Worst Landlord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smariel

I live in Hennepin County in Minnesota, and I (along with the rest of my building) am having problems with my landlord. He has taken over the "care" of the building from his father, who is too old to run a rental property.

My landlord is refusing to give anyone back their security deposit when they move out, claiming that the money is going to advertise for a new renter.

He does not shampoo the carpets before people move in - even when a lady who lived there 16 years with no vacuum cleaner moved out.

His idea of repainting the walls is to dab paint on the dirty spots, leaving an interesting blotched looking wall.

He charges his rent based on how well you get along with him. He basically told me it's based on personality.

He enters our apartments with repair people or by hemself to do a minor repair and never notifies us of him being there. I have come home a couple times to my door standing wide open (not just unlocked! WIDE OPEN!!!) and him puttering around in my bathroom patching my ceiling!

There are 18 apartments in my building, and all of our leases are due up in April. I already know that 11 of the 18 apartments are moving as soon as their lease is up. Do we have any recourse against this man? Is there anything we can do?

Another question... When my first lease was filled out it was written in that I could small pets (i have two birds), is there any way he can tell me with the signing of a new lease that I can no longer have them?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and respond. I deeply value any advice or opinions you may have.

[Edited by smariel on 01-31-2001 at 06:14 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">