• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Acquaintance lost my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ml73

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

An acquaintance agreed to bring a custom-made pair of shoes (value $650) from China back to the US and somehow lost the shoes on his way back home. He refuses to take any responsibility. I suggested that he file a claim with his insurance but he replied that he does not have time. I would prefer to resolve this situation amicably (e.g. sharing the value of the loss) but he is not responding to my e-mails.

What is the legal liability in situations like this?

Just Blue

An acquaintance agreed to bring a custom-made pair of shoes (value $650) from China back to the US and somehow lost the shoes on his way back home. He refuses to take any responsibility. I suggested that he file a claim with his insurance but he replied that he does not have time. I would prefer to resolve this situation amicably (e.g. sharing the value of the loss) but he is not responding to my e-mails.

Small claims court.

HRZ

NO clue about jurisdiction for the bailment contract...but IF this was a deal done with roots in CA and your agent in China delivered your goods to your bailee in China, the bailee has a ('modest ) duty to care for them and deliver them to you in CA ....so sue him .in small claims court and get it right as to service and notice etc .

I don't know the strength of your court claim ...but he better take some time ..lest you get a default judgement against him and go on hunt to collect .

I doubt his insurance would cover it ..but let him file any such claim ...he is blowing you off ..

quincy

How did he say he lost the shoes? Did the airlines lose his bag?

xylene

Just in case you wonder if it escaped anyone's attention, this sounds like a minor league but completely shady attempt to evade import duties on your pricey shoes by having your 'acquaintance' falsely declare them as part of his own personal property.

HRZ

THe bailee is free to raise any defenses to having failed to care for goods entrusted to his care he chooses , in front of a judge. A DJ lacks jurisdiction on Federal matters, but he or she might not be impressed with folks in a conspiracy to avoid taxes. ( ...IF such is true. ) And so far we dont know where the lapse of care for the goods took place to leave them in taxi.

quincy

Just in case you wonder if it escaped anyone's attention, this sounds like a minor league but completely shady attempt to evade import duties on your pricey shoes by having your 'acquaintance' falsely declare them as part of his own personal property.
It is also possible the "custom-made" shoes were counterfeits, which would complicate any claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">