• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I responsible for my exes utility bills if I moved out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

What county is this in?
I am not seeing how the county is important. ?

What I failed to point out before is that monthly gas and electric costs from March through November generally would be significantly less than gas and electric costs for December and January and February. The $300 might be excessive for a 900 square foot dwelling (depending on facts) but an increase from the prior-paid $50 should be expected as winter temperatures drop.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I am not seeing how the county is important. ?

What I failed to point out before is that monthly gas and electric costs from March through November generally would be significantly less than gas and electric costs for December and January and February. The $300 might be excessive for a 900 square foot dwelling (depending on facts) but an increase from the prior-paid $50 should be expected as winter temperatures drop.
I think that any of us who have gas heat and hot water would agree that costs are generally higher for December and January than the rest of the year. However 300.00 for 900 square feet would be absolutely ridiculous in an apartment building. In fact, 100.00 in October for 900 square feet would be equally ridiculous. I am guessing that the ex boyfriend was padding the bills from day one.

quincy

I think that any of us who have gas heat and hot water would agree that costs are generally higher for December and January than the rest of the year. However 300.00 for 900 square feet would be absolutely ridiculous in an apartment building. In fact, 100.00 in October for 900 square feet would be equally ridiculous. I am guessing that the ex boyfriend was padding the bills from day one.
What you find ridiculous doesn't really matter, you know. ;)

If the utility company in fact billed $300 for gas, what matters is the amount Lunar can be held responsible for under the terms of her oral contract. She agreed (without any qualifiers, apparently) to pay 50% of the heating costs.

If Lunar is sued, a court may or may not hold her to the agreement.

LdiJ

What you find ridiculous doesn't really matter, you know. ;)

If the utility company in fact billed $300 for gas, what matters is the amount Lunar can be held responsible for under the terms of her oral contract. She agreed (without any qualifiers, apparently) to pay 50% of the heating costs.

If Lunar is sued, a court may or may not hold her to the agreement.
Yep...which means that what I find ridiculous might actually result in her not having to pay what the ex roommate is demanding.

quincy

Yep...which means that what I find ridiculous might actually result in her not having to pay what the ex roommate is demanding.
No. What you find ridiculous doesn't matter.

What matters is what can be proved as to the terms of the oral contract. The utility bill speaks for itself.

HRZ

I don't see it same way...apparently OP and Friend leased an apartment and apparently they agreeed on how to split the utilities , and they performed as to utility split agreement. OP moved out early , she reaffirmed her agreement to split utilities for the balance of the lease. SHe is obligated to pay as agreed ...and if the actual consumption bills are correct...then so be it . SHe has a practical right to see the bills before paying her share .

quincy

I don't see it same way...apparently OP and Friend leased an apartment and apparently they agreeed on how to split the utilities , and they performed as to utility split agreement. OP moved out early , she reaffirmed her agreement to split utilities for the balance of the lease. SHe is obligated to pay as agreed ...and if the actual consumption bills are correct...then so be it . SHe has a practical right to see the bills before paying her share .
I believe you are looking at it correctly, HRZ.

There is an oral agreement. That neither Lunar nor her ex decided to put this agreement in writing makes it no less binding on the parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">