• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bugs in the house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SML

I have recently had to deal with a major bedbug problem that started in my neighbor's unit. With no real way to prove that other than conversations we had and my conversations with our unit manager, is small claims court the way to go and would it even be worthwhile? I had to pay over $2000 to get rid of the problem, and believe that the management company of my neighbors has responsibility here for his tenant's non-effort to properly take care of the problem. The building got so bad that it had to recently be fumigated, but my expenses were incurred before our complex took that action. When I first talked to my neighbors about the bedbugs, they were already having the problem and even admitted that the problem started in their unit when units were inspected a while back. I have never had a problem with this before, so there is no doubt in my mind that the problem started next door. Should I pursue?

quincy

I have recently had to deal with a major bedbug problem that started in my neighbor's unit. With no real way to prove that other than conversations we had and my conversations with our unit manager, is small claims court the way to go and would it even be worthwhile? I had to pay over $2000 to get rid of the problem, and believe that the management company of my neighbors has responsibility here for his tenant's non-effort to properly take care of the problem. The building got so bad that it had to recently be fumigated, but my expenses were incurred before our complex took that action. When I first talked to my neighbors about the bedbugs, they were already having the problem and even admitted that the problem started in their unit when units were inspected a while back. I have never had a problem with this before, so there is no doubt in my mind that the problem started next door. Should I pursue?
What is the name of your state?

adjusterjack

there is no doubt in my mind that the problem started next door. Should I pursue?
That there is no doubt in your mind might not be enough evidence to convince a judge but small claims court is cheap and informal.

$2000 is within the small claims limit of every state.

It's up to you.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Why aren't you targeting the neighbor, rather than the management company?

And what state are you in?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">