• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I change the amount of a bill if I have to sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
And I'm ok with that. I only wanted to collect the extra to punish him for forcing it to go to court. Thanks for the response and info.
The law does not grant you extra because you have to drag the defendant to court. The defendant has the right to contest your claim in court and ought not be punished for exercising that right. By the same token, you have the right to pursue a judgment against him for your claim in court and ought not be punished for exercising that right if you lose the case. If you win, though, certain costs will be awarded to you, like the court filing fee and fee for service of the summons and complaint. You just don’t get compensated for your time.

PayrollHRGuy

You should realize that is not too late for the state to press charges in the matter. This threat of this may motivate your neighbor.

working-poor

You should realize that is not too late for the state to press charges in the matter. This threat of this may motivate your neighbor.
I've thought of that. Many times. The sheriff told us we could press charges, and we weighed heavily on that but opted not to. I've prepared a letter I will be sending him certified mail tomorrow reminding him we were kind enough not to press charges and to pay up soon or that may change.

working-poor

The law does not grant you extra because you have to drag the defendant to court. The defendant has the right to contest your claim in court and ought not be punished for exercising that right. By the same token, you have the right to pursue a judgment against him for your claim in court and ought not be punished for exercising that right if you lose the case. If you win, though, certain costs will be awarded to you, like the court filing fee and fee for service of the summons and complaint. You just don’t get compensated for your time.
Like I said, I'm ok with that. I really only want what I put out of pocket. I'm just tired of waiting for it. I was brought up differently I guess. If i had done it, the people wouldn't even have to bill me, I would have my checkbook out the day it happened.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My argument to that would be, if I hired a contractor to do the work and he charged me $300 for labor, that would be an actual cost, so why wouldn't my labor be an actual cost as well?
Because you didn't hire a contractor.

quincy

Like I said, I'm ok with that. I really only want what I put out of pocket. I'm just tired of waiting for it. I was brought up differently I guess. If i had done it, the people wouldn't even have to bill me, I would have my checkbook out the day it happened.
You were raised right. :)

I hope your neighbor gives you what he owes you upon receipt of your letter so you do not have to take him to court.

Good luck.

LdiJ

... which, seeing as how he might find it difficult to collect on any judgment awarded him anyway, was probably a smart choice. ;)
Odds are that he might have a little bit easer of a job than most, considering that he knows exactly where his neighbor's property is located and what's available to have liens placed against it.

I have seen people have pretty good luck with putting liens on people's cars. Particularly cars that are already paid off. When the person sells the car thinking that there is no lien, and the buyer can't title it because there is a lien, things often get resolved quite quickly.

quincy

Odds are that he might have a little bit easer of a job than most, considering that he knows exactly where his neighbor's property is located and what's available to have liens placed against it.

I have seen people have pretty good luck with putting liens on people's cars. Particularly cars that are already paid off. When the person sells the car thinking that there is no lien, and the buyer can't title it because there is a lien, things often get resolved quite quickly.
Possibly.

It would be nice if working-poor does not have to go to that trouble, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">