• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I put a time limit on offer to settle small claims judgement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There are two questions

Which one did you answer yes to?
There is really one question that was asked in two parts (unnecessarily, in my opinion): Can one enforce a time limit placed on a settlement offer relating to a judgment?

But I do see your point.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Alternatively, once the first question is answer in the affirmative, the second question becomes moot.

PayrollHRGuy

And the thread subject line was "Can I put a time limit on offer to settle small claims judgement?" which was also a y/n question.

Everyone here other than the OP new exactly which question I was answering.

The second question was Moo. Like a cow's opinion. Nobody needed it.

Last edited:

justalayman

Alternatively, once the first question is answer in the affirmative, the second question becomes moot.
And maybe the op didn’t understand that and asked for clarification.

Wow, my attempt to tease sure turned into a semi-major (or would that be a super-minor) debacle.

quincy

And maybe the op didn’t understand that and asked for clarification.

Wow, my attempt to tease sure turned into a semi-major (or would that be a super-minor) debacle.
Geez. PayrollHRGuy's 1000 word essay is practically writing itself. :D

justalayman

And the thread subject line was "Can I put a time limit on offer to settle small claims judgement?" which was also a y/n question.

Everyone here other than the OP new exactly which question I was answering.

The second question was Moo. Like a cow's opinion. Nobody needed it.
I rarely read the header or condisrd it part of the actual question. They are often created merely to garner attention.

I love this statement:

Everyone here other than the op knew exactly what question I was answering

Well, doesn’t that make you sound like a lovely guy. In other words; I don’t answer the question for the benefit of the op. Everybody else knew what I was saying, except the op but why bother with him. Just because it’s his thread and his question why should it matter than he didn’t understand.

PayrollHRGuy

No it means that my answer was clear to every person that read it minus one. That one could have been the OP, you or anyone else. It just happened to be the OP.

justalayman

No it means that my answer was clear to every person that read it minus one. That one could have been the OP, you or anyone else. It just happened to be the OP.
And that one is really the only one that mattered

Sorry but while I thought the first time you said that you really ddint mean it. This reinforced your statement to show it was not misinterpreted.

If you don’t care if the op understands an answer, why bother answering at all?

PayrollHRGuy

That is why I give the shortest answer possible in any given situation. In this case the shortest correct answer was, yes. When I break that rule as I did in what you just responded to various people can take it various ways as you did.

So let me shorten my response...

In other words; I don’t answer the question for the benefit of the op. Everybody else knew what I was saying, except the op but why bother with him. Just because it’s his thread and his question why should it matter than he didn’t understand.
No that is wrong.

justalayman

There was only question for which "of course you can" could be the answer.

That's funny :D
But why chastise the op, and later state it didn’t matter if op understood the answer, for asking for clarification? I have shown where there could be confusion, especially by a person that doesn’t understand the topic as well as most here.

You understood the answer

I understood the answer

Payrollguy understood his statement.

It matters not if 99% of the entire world populace understood the answer of the op wasn’t in that 99% and apparently he wasn’t. This is why i don’t talk to rocket scientists. They aren’t smart enough to understand communication isn’t simply tossing out an answer. It’s communication when I understand what they are saying. Although the may be intelligent, they are often not very smart.

Hey Quincy, what’s the count up to now?

justalayman

That is why I give the shortest answer possible in any given situation. In this case the shortest correct answer was, yes. When I break that rule as I did in what you just responded to various people can take it various ways as you did.

So let me shorten my response...

No that is wrong.
You said yourself it didn’t matter if the op didn’t understand your answer.

Regardless of who else may or may not understand an answer, if the op doesn’t understand it, answering is meaningless. In fact if we do not endeavor to explain things in a manner the op understands, its...well....it’s an insult to the op. That is the only person we need to make sure understands.

quincy

But why chastise the op, and later state it didn’t matter if op understood the answer, for asking for clarification? I have shown where there could be confusion, especially by a person that doesn’t understand the topic as well as most here.

You understood the answer

I understood the answer

Payrollguy understood his statement.

It matters not if 99% of the entire world populace understood the answer of the op wasn’t in that 99% and apparently he wasn’t. This is why i don’t talk to rocket scientists. They aren’t smart enough to understand communication isn’t simply tossing out an answer. It’s communication when I understand what they are saying. Although the may be intelligent, they are often not very smart.

Hey Quincy, what’s the count up to now?
Probably far more than necessary. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">