• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I put a time limit on offer to settle small claims judgement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FrankinAz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona.

I have a small claims judgement. If I extend an offer to settle for a lesser amount to the judgment debtor can I put a date/time limit on it and then chase the full amount at a later date if he doesn't take me up on the offer? Or, am I obligated to take the offer amount at any time once made? Thank you ..

FrankinAz

Of course you can.
Can you be more specific, please. Are you saying I can make an offer in writing to the judgement debtor and put a time frame on it? And, that the judgement debtor is liable for the full amount if they don't take me up on the offer and settle within a reasonable time, say 15 or 30 days as will be stated in the letter.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can you be more specific, please. Are you saying I can make an offer in writing to the judgement debtor and put a time frame on it? And, that the judgement debtor is liable for the full amount if they don't take me up on the offer and settle within a reasonable time, say 15 or 30 days as will be stated in the letter.
How could the question you posed have been answered any more specifically? :confused:

xylene

First part yes, second part not exactly especially if we are talking about a dispute over what is owed.

Non response or rejection of your settlement offer is not a judgment.

HRZ

Sure, it you have a final judgement for say $1500 you can offer in writing to accept say 1250. Paid in cash on or before 1 Feb 2018 or whatever ....why not , if yo think it helps ..

PayrollHRGuy

No I can't be more specific. You asked a question that a yes or no answer was suitable. I can sit here and write a 1000 word essay on the issue but the short and ultimately correct answer is, yes.

quincy

No I can't be more specific. You asked a question that a yes or no answer was suitable. I can sit here and write a 1000 word essay on the issue but the short and ultimately correct answer is, yes.
I would like to see you expand your "yes" answer to 1000 words. :)

justalayman

So, afraid to take on the challenge? Failing sucks so I understand.

Realistically though it was more of a yes and no answer than just a yes.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Realistically though it was more of a yes and no answer than just a yes.
Question: Can I put a time limit on offer to settle small claims judgement?

Answer: Yes.

It's about an offer to settle a judgment, so it really was a yes/no question ;)

PayrollHRGuy

The question was
I have a small claims judgement. If I extend an offer to settle for a lesser amount to the judgment debtor can I put a date/time limit on it and then chase the full amount at a later date if he doesn't take me up on the offer?
That is a yes or no question.

justalayman

Question: Can I put a time limit on offer to settle small claims judgement?

Answer: Yes.

It's about an offer to settle a judgment, so it really was a yes/no question ;)
Each of the two questions are adequately answered with either a yes or no response but the fact remains; there are two questions. Maybe that is why the op sought clarification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">