• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contract With Ex (Do I have a chance?)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

So who determines if contract is valid? Who interprets the contract to determine whether there was a breach. Very often one side may claim there was a breach but the other parties not only denies the claim but argues the contract does not make it a breach.

[QUOTEI am not sure what you are saying there but that is true of every industry, because they are all peopled by human beings. However, most of the time, a professional is going to be just that, professional.
Enamored as in star struck like in pie eyed.

I just realized you are probably the most prejudiced person I’ve ever dealt with. I think I have a better chance of convincing Louis farakhan that not all whites are evil than I have of convincing you there are a lot of incometent lawyers out there[/B].
Of course there are incompetent attorneys. Just not enough of them that if they were gone thousands of judge's would no longer be needed.

You persist in missing the point I am making.

The "prejudice" bit was insulting and demeaning and does you no credit.

justalayman

Enamored as in star struck like in pie eyed.

Of course there are incompetent attorneys. Just not enough of them that if they were gone thousands of judge's would no longer be needed.

You persist in missing the point I am making.

The "prejudice" bit was insulting and demeaning and does you no credit.
ABSOLUTELY EVERYBODY IS PREJUDICED IN SOME WAY.

If we weren’t nobody would be able to figure out what shirt to wear to work tomorrow. It would be mass confusion throughout the world.

Understand; I said prejudiced, not racist.
And you’re missing my point; just because a lawyer wrote the document, it does not mean it was well written or even a valid contract. You seem to believe just because a lawyer wrote it it must be properly written and is in fact a valid and enforceable contract. That is a prejudiced perspective.

HRZ

ITs also possible that the lawyer ismvery competent as to matters of XYZ but not so on MNO ...and the promise to pay was poorly crafted.

I don't know what was agreed ...but it was agreed OP was to pay off the AMEX card and the tooth fairy got a loan and paid off that card ...the THere is good room to debate that the promise has been satisfied...but we are flying blind .

OP ..just for starters recite the specific " consideration " element of this supposed contract ..less names .

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I find it interesting that LD is defending attorneys when she argues with me CONSTANTLY about custody and juvenile cases in OHIO. Where I am licensed and she is not. Because she is NOT an attorney anywhere. But okay... now she wants to defend attorneys when her actions on this forum betray that as she has argued with me and various other attorneys at EVERY juncture. yeah...

Just Blue

I find it interesting that LD is defending attorneys when she argues with me CONSTANTLY about custody and juvenile cases in OHIO. Where I am licensed and she is not. Because she is NOT an attorney anywhere. But okay... now she wants to defend attorneys when her actions on this forum betray that as she has argued with me and various other attorneys at EVERY juncture. yeah...
Is contrary a mental ailment?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

So long story short; My ex accumulated credit card debt while we were together and put the blame on me that I made her make all those purchases and whatnot.

Her family already has a lawyer and wrote up
a contract agreement (that I shouldn’t have signed but was pretty much backed into a corner) and it states that I agree to pay $(such amount) every 1st of the month for the credit card debt until $(such amount) is paid off.

But she recently got a loan that paid for all the credit card debt and wasn’t going to tell me but ended up telling me.

Am I still considered liable for the credit card debt and still need to make payments if the credit card was paid off in full?
Depends on how the contract is written. But it is more likely than not that the contract was written to ensure that you are responsible for the debt, regardless of who is the debtee of said debt. In other words, sounds like you're going to have to pay up.

But the practical question is this: do you have the money to defend this in court and pay court costs if you lose?

Mikenflorida

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

So long story short; My ex accumulated credit card debt while we were together and put the blame on me that I made her make all those purchases and whatnot.

Her family already has a lawyer and wrote up
a contract agreement (that I shouldn’t have signed but was pretty much backed into a corner) and it states that I agree to pay $(such amount) every 1st of the month for the credit card debt until $(such amount) is paid off.

But she recently got a loan that paid for all the credit card debt and wasn’t going to tell me but ended up telling me.

Am I still considered liable for the credit card debt and still need to make payments if the credit card was paid off in full?
I am not an attorney but I believe that because you signed to pay $ per month, you have to continue to pay until the new loan is paid off. I believe that you would need to take her to court and get and get the payoff date on the new loan, possibly being able to negotiate new terms based on the payment and interest on the new loan, and make sure that she does not add more debt on the loan that she might try to stiff you with. That is my advice, Having dealt with an ex wife and a similar situation in Florida. However, I will let others with more experience chime in.

Mikenflorida

Ham radio operator

What do you call the doctor that graduated at the bottom of his class?

Doctor
I am a ham radio operator and I agree. There are three levels of licenses, the top class being Extra. I passed my third level, but had I missed one more question, I would not have passed. I am still an Extra.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I am not an attorney but I believe that because you signed to pay $ per month, you have to continue to pay until the new loan is paid off. I believe that you would need to take her to court and get and get the payoff date on the new loan, possibly being able to negotiate new terms based on the payment and interest on the new loan, and make sure that she does not add more debt on the loan that she might try to stiff you with. That is my advice, Having dealt with an ex wife and a similar situation in Florida. However, I will let others with more experience chime in.
How very noble of you.

:rolleyes:

quincy

No. AC808 is not a party to the new loan. He has a separate contract with his ex.

The terms of the contract with the ex have not changed with the loan.

AC808 owes XXX amount of dollars payable at X dollars a month per the terms of his contract. He needs to pay X amount of dollars until the XXX amount of dollars is paid in full.

Once AC808 satisfies the terms of the contract he signed with his ex, he should have his ex provide him with a "paid in full" written, dated and signed form documenting this.

AC808

Many thanks...

Thank you ALL for the replies and some new insight into things that I should’ve done when the contract was originally made.

Let me clarify that the new loan that she accrued isn’t exactly a loan from a third-party but one from her own family that i’m pretty sure she is probably under contract with now because they like to keep all their bases covered when it comes to money.

So the credit cards have all been paid off in full and closed, so as of this moment, there are no credit cards.

This is not a chance to just flee obligations that I signed but just a way of making sure. Seeing that if there was any way I can stop giving someone money who most likely probably spent all the money I did pay her on other things and just kept racking up the bill no matter what...I wanna try and see where I stand.

Yes, I was stupid. I admit it but doesn’t everyone make bad decisions sometimes?

quincy

Thank you ALL for the replies and some new insight into things that I should’ve done when the contract was originally made.

Let me clarify that the new loan that she accrued isn’t exactly a loan from a third-party but one from her own family that i’m pretty sure she is probably under contract with now because they like to keep all their bases covered when it comes to money.

So the credit cards have all been paid off in full and closed, so as of this moment, there are no credit cards.

This is not a chance to just flee obligations that I signed but just a way of making sure. Seeing that if there was any way I can stop giving someone money who most likely probably spent all the money I did pay her on other things and just kept racking up the bill no matter what...I wanna try and see where I stand.

Yes, I was stupid. I admit it but doesn’t everyone make bad decisions sometimes?
Yes. Everyone makes bad decisions. You just need to finish your obligations to your ex under the terms of the contract and you will stop being reminded monthly of yours. :)

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">