• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dealership charged for services not performed - what can i recover in court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IndyinVA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Short story - Dealership claimed that they replaced all of the engine ground cables on my car and my battery. Total charge $790 less my coupon - i paid $674.55. After numerous back and forth, and me filing a small claims case, the dealership later admitted they only replaced the battery. They are offering $588 refund. I'v paid:
$674.55 for repairs
$31. to have another dealer confirm my suspicions
$108.16 Court Filing charge
$6.41 copy charges
a whole day running back and forth from dealers to courthouse to kinkos to post-office.
Should i take the $588 or go to court for all my money back?

SW:mad:

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

Short story - Dealership claimed that they replaced all of the engine ground cables on my car and my battery. Total charge $790 less my coupon - i paid $674.55. After numerous back and forth, and me filing a small claims case, the dealership later admitted they only replaced the battery. They are offering $588 refund. I'v paid:
$674.55 for repairs
$6.41 copy charges
a whole day running back and forth from dealers to courthouse to kinkos to post-office.

How much is the difference worth to you? Do you have the time and inclination to sue in small claims for the $230ish? And how much was the battery worth that they installed? I'm assuming that's a part of their calculation of damages?

quincy

$674.55 for repairs
$6.41 copy charges

Yours is not a legal question. It is a personal decision. I personally would take the offered $588.

IndyinVA

How much is the difference worth to you? Do you have the time and inclination to sue in small claims for the $230ish? And how much was the battery worth that they installed? I'm assuming that's a part of their calculation of damages?
Hello and thanks for replying. The short story didn't give all of the "lying and cover-up" that has taken place regarding this situation. I originally stated i did not want a new battery; that i would purchase one at AutoZone. But per the mechanic, they couldn't do all of the other needed repairs without the new battery. He went further to say that he would give me a $20 discount on the battery if that would help - bringing it down from $154 to $134 (which also turned out to be a lie). The actual price of the battery is only $134. Found this out from the assistant manager who did not know my receipt was overstated. For me going to court isn't the problem. The question is can i recover "my time/inconvenience" related to this intentional deception perpetrated by the dealership.

FlyingRon

You're not getting a small claims aware in Virginia for your "inconvenience," just the actual quantifiable money damages. Bring proof of your expenditures.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

$674.55 for repairs
$6.41 copy charges

How much was it to install the new battery? You stated in another post the battery was $134. Did they charge any labor for the battery install? Because taking the battery from the 674.55 would be 540.55. If labor were $40 for the battery installation, that takes it to $500.55 of what you would be owed. You are out $31 for the other dealer and $6.41 for copies. That takes it to $541.96 that you are due. They are offering $588. Take the refund. You don't get paid for your time or inconvenience.

Just Blue

How much was it to install the new battery? You stated in another post the battery was $134. Did they charge any labor for the battery install? Because taking the battery from the 674.55 would be 540.55. If labor were $40 for the battery installation, that takes it to $500.55 of what you would be owed. You are out $31 for the other dealer and $6.41 for copies. That takes it to $541.96 that you are due. They are offering $588. Take the refund. You don't get paid for your time or inconvenience.
$ 40.oo to install is alot. I've done it ....takes about 5 min's. :)

quincy

I was guessing. I know $40 to install is a lot but even if it was only $20 ... the $588 makes OP whole.
I agree. My calculations were the same as yours. A lawsuit makes little financial sense ... to me, at any rate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">