• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

demand for payment letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HoneyCasper

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?CA

I made a loan to someone back in march of 2005. We signed an agreement that she would repay the loan by giving $100.00 a month, and it would be repaid by March 2006. I have not received any payments, and i have asked several times for the money. Can I send her a demand letter? and if yes, then if i don't receive payment, can I start a small claims court case, even though it hasn't been the year?

dcatz

Can I send her a demand letter? and if yes, then if i don't receive payment, can I start a small claims court case, even though it hasn't been the year?
You can send a demand. Set a time for a response - eg. "not later than xxx, 2005" or "not later than X days from this letter date". Keep a copy. You say that you have a written agreement, but more is better, in case the court would like to see it.

It hasn't been a year and you don't say whether the agreement allows you to accelerate the balance (declare the whole balance owing, if there's a default), but your friend was in default when the first payment date was missed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">