• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Equifax small claim claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hopkins21

Honestly I could not tell if it was the "Prentance Hall" address or the Atlanta Georgia address

Business Entity Details
Officers
Name EQUIFAX CREDIT INFORMATION SERVICES, INC.
Entity Number 745993
Entity Type Business Corporation
Status Active
Citizenship Foreign
Entity Creation Date 05/28/1982
Effective Date 05/28/1982
State Of Inc GA
Address C/O THE PRENTICE-HALL CORPORATION SYSTEM, INC. Dauphin
Name E D DEVANEY JR
Title SECRETARY
Address 1550 PEACHTREE ST NW ATLANTA GA 30309
Your help is appreciated. Thank you!

Hopkins21

I find out today if the magistrate will take the case in small claims court.

What type of lawyer would you recommend if i want to hire someone to peruse the case for me?

Thank you

quincy

Generally lawyer aren't allowed in small claims court. It is sort of the point.
Attorneys are allowed in Pennsylvania small claims courts (and attorneys are allowed in small claims courts in several other states, as well). A lawyer with consumer protection experience could be a good choice.

Hopkins21

Attorneys are allowed in Pennsylvania small claims courts (and attorneys are allowed in small claims courts in several other states, as well). A lawyer with consumer protection experience could be a good choice.
Hello. I meant if the case is rejected as legitimate by the judge, and i wanted to go a route other than small claims courrt, what type of lawyer would i contact?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It doesn't matter what court it is - the same type of attorney should be dealing with the case.

quincy

Hello. I meant if the case is rejected as legitimate by the judge, and i wanted to go a route other than small claims courrt, what type of lawyer would i contact?
For an attorney to assist you with a claim against Equifax, an attorney well-versed in consumer protection laws and experienced in consumer protection lawsuits would be a good choice - this whether you decide on a small claims action or you file in a higher court.

Again, filing a lawsuit right now could be premature. The attorney you see can discuss the timing of a suit in more depth when you meet with him/her.

There are (at least) 23 class action suits already filed against Equifax as a result of the data breach. It can be helpful for those leaning toward filing a personal action to see what these suits are claiming and how Equifax responds to the claims. A personal action can benefit from knowing the arguments made on both sides.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Hopkins21

Thank you everyone.

The crutch of my argument for damages is that i don't accept the terms they are offering me as compensation because my information was exposed to hackers (one year of a credit monitoring service they choose)

I would like to have the option to choose a company I trust to monitor my credit, and to have the opportunity to renew with them indefinitely. I choose one that is very expensive for a term of 20 years, and i am requesting that amount in damaged.

What do you guys think of that argument?

Last edited:

quincy

Thank you everyone.

The crutch of my argument for damages is that i don't accept the terms they are offering me as compensation because my information was exposed to hackers (one year of a credit monitoring service they choose)

I would like to have the option to choose a company I trust to monitor my credit, and to have the opportunity to renew with them indefinitely. I choose one that is very expensive for a term of 20 years, and i am requesting that amount in damaged.

What do you guys think of that argument?
Equifax, Experian and TransUnion are the three major credit reporting agencies. They will (most likely) remain the three major credit reporting agencies. They all have your personal information.

As to ordering special services from any of these agencies (such as credit monitoring), whether to do so or not is (and always has been) a consumer's choice. You do not have to pay Equifax for their monitoring service. You don't have to pay anyone or any entity to monitor your credit. You can do it yourself.

If you paid Equifax to monitor your credit and they failed to comply with the terms of the agreement, that is an additional legal issue - separate from the recent data breach.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">