+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopkins21 View Post
    Honestly I could not tell if it was the "Prentance Hall" address or the Atlanta Georgia address

Business Entity Details
    Officers
    Name EQUIFAX CREDIT INFORMATION SERVICES, INC.
    Entity Number 745993
    Entity Type Business Corporation
    Status Active
    Citizenship Foreign
    Entity Creation Date 05/28/1982
    Effective Date 05/28/1982
    State Of Inc GA
    Address C/O THE PRENTICE-HALL CORPORATION SYSTEM, INC. Dauphin
    Name E D DEVANEY JR
    Title SECRETARY
    Address 1550 PEACHTREE ST NW ATLANTA GA 30309
    Your help is appreciated. Thank you!

I find out today if the magistrate will take the case in small claims court.

What type of lawyer would you recommend if i want to hire someone to peruse the case for me?

Thank you

Generally lawyer aren't allowed in small claims court. It is sort of the point.

Quote Originally Posted by PayrollHRGuy View Post
    Generally lawyer aren't allowed in small claims court. It is sort of the point.
    Attorneys are allowed in Pennsylvania small claims courts (and attorneys are allowed in small claims courts in several other states, as well). A lawyer with consumer protection experience could be a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by quincy View Post
    Attorneys are allowed in Pennsylvania small claims courts (and attorneys are allowed in small claims courts in several other states, as well). A lawyer with consumer protection experience could be a good choice.
    Hello. I meant if the case is rejected as legitimate by the judge, and i wanted to go a route other than small claims courrt, what type of lawyer would i contact?

It doesn't matter what court it is - the same type of attorney should be dealing with the case.

Hello. I meant if the case is rejected as legitimate by the judge, and i wanted to go a route other than small claims courrt, what type of lawyer would i contact?
    For an attorney to assist you with a claim against Equifax, an attorney well-versed in consumer protection laws and experienced in consumer protection lawsuits would be a good choice - this whether you decide on a small claims action or you file in a higher court.

Again, filing a lawsuit right now could be premature. The attorney you see can discuss the timing of a suit in more depth when you meet with him/her.

There are (at least) 23 class action suits already filed against Equifax as a result of the data breach. It can be helpful for those leaning toward filing a personal action to see what these suits are claiming and how Equifax responds to the claims. A personal action can benefit from knowing the arguments made on both sides.

Good luck.

Last edited by quincy; 09-14-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    Thank you everyone.

The crutch of my argument for damages is that i don't accept the terms they are offering me as compensation because my information was exposed to hackers (one year of a credit monitoring service they choose)

I would like to have the option to choose a company I trust to monitor my credit, and to have the opportunity to renew with them indefinitely. I choose one that is very expensive for a term of 20 years, and i am requesting that amount in damaged.

What do you guys think of that argument?

Last edited by Hopkins21; 09-14-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    Thank you everyone.

The crutch of my argument for damages is that i don't accept the terms they are offering me as compensation because my information was exposed to hackers (one year of a credit monitoring service they choose)

I would like to have the option to choose a company I trust to monitor my credit, and to have the opportunity to renew with them indefinitely. I choose one that is very expensive for a term of 20 years, and i am requesting that amount in damaged.

What do you guys think of that argument?
    Equifax, Experian and TransUnion are the three major credit reporting agencies. They will (most likely) remain the three major credit reporting agencies. They all have your personal information.

As to ordering special services from any of these agencies (such as credit monitoring), whether to do so or not is (and always has been) a consumer's choice. You do not have to pay Equifax for their monitoring service. You don't have to pay anyone or any entity to monitor your credit. You can do it yourself.

If you paid Equifax to monitor your credit and they failed to comply with the terms of the agreement, that is an additional legal issue - separate from the recent data breach.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12