• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False accusation of theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaidrg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I believe that I am being framed as someone who was involved with theft of a wallet containing a large sum of money. There are altered text messages being held against me to make me look like the culprit, but there is no hard evidence that I have taken anything, as I didn't. I am fearful that I don't have anything to legally use as evidence if this case is taken to court besides my word. I do not have the money to pay if I did happen to lose and am not sure what to do. I don't want to agree to pay someone this money to avoid court as I am innocent, but the case seems to be in their favor based off of these altered messages. How should I go about this? Another thing to add is that the altered messages are by someone who has a history of being a compulsive liar, is there a way to get documents agreeing with that to possibly help show she is manipulating me and this situation?

Eekamouse

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I believe that I am being framed as someone who was involved with theft of a wallet containing a large sum of money. There are altered text messages being held against me to make me look like the culprit, but there is no hard evidence that I have taken anything, as I didn't. I am fearful that I don't have anything to legally use as evidence if this case is taken to court besides my word. I do not have the money to pay if I did happen to lose and am not sure what to do. I don't want to agree to pay someone this money to avoid court as I am innocent, but the case seems to be in their favor based off of these altered messages. How should I go about this? Another thing to add is that the altered messages are by someone who has a history of being a compulsive liar, is there a way to get documents agreeing with that to possibly help show she is manipulating me and this situation?
How exactly were these texts altered? Have you ever been in trouble with the police before? What hard evidence do you think is lacking? Someone catching you red-handed?

jaidrg

How exactly were these texts altered? Have you ever been in trouble with the police before? What hard evidence do you think is lacking? Someone catching you red-handed?
Meaning the conversation was set up where the person and I were talking about it in a joking manner the night that it had happened. My roommate's friend is the one who had lost it, but she had left the apartment after drinking a lot and essentially we were mocking her, which isn't right of me by any means. But the texts she sent are only the ones that make me out to be a thief. Therefore, the rest of the conversation isn't part of their "evidence" and that is why I am fearful. I know the situation looks bad on my part and that is what I am afraid of. I don't have a way to prove otherwise when I know I didn't and wouldn't do something like that.

HRZ

Look up CO law as to blackmail and extortion**************the threats may be over the line...and if so...a felony charge is no laughing matter .

quincy

Look up CO law as to blackmail and extortion**************the threats may be over the line...and if so...a felony charge is no laughing matter .
^^^ Huh? :confused: ^^^

jaidrg, anyone who decides to sue you must prove you stole the wallet/money. If the person trying to sue you wants to use texts as evidence, you can object to their introduction unless they are authenticated as coming from you and not altered.

How much money is said to have been taken? Was a police report filed on the theft?

You can consult with an attorney in your area if you are sued (or investigated by the police).

jaidrg

^^^ Huh? :confused: ^^^

jaidrg, anyone who decides to sue you must prove you stole the wallet/money. If the person trying to sue you wants to use texts as evidence, you can object to their introduction unless they are authenticated as coming from you and not altered.

How much money is said to have been taken? Was a police report filed on the theft?

You can consult with an attorney in your area if you are sued (or investigated by the police).
No report has been filed yet as far as I know. There was about $700 I believe. I know I keep getting messages from others saying to "fess up" but I don't want to just give into paying someone money I don't have because I know I didn't take it!

HRZ

A threat to report you to law enforcement for theft if you don't pay off is where you get help to sort out if its extortion ..and spreading false word to others about your supposed illegal acts may be libel/slander

A mere threat to sue you is a mere hollow threat for now ..and requires that plaintiff prove it if it gets to court as a civil matter and nothing yet suggests there is any criminal matter being investigated .

Keep safe copies and records of everything sent to you...add ZERO comments or fuel to anything else--and not even police if they ask (then its time for lawyer)

I don't think its value effective to get counsel ..yet...but I'd sure add ZERO fuel to anything --and that includes your any discussions with your RM about anything other than the weather outside and whose turn it is to take out the trash.

quincy

No report has been filed yet as far as I know. There was about $700 I believe. I know I keep getting messages from others saying to "fess up" but I don't want to just give into paying someone money I don't have because I know I didn't take it!
If you didn't take the money, it would be stupid for you to say that you did.

I don't know who the "others" are who are telling you to "fess up" but you can ignore them. If the person who believes you stole the money wants to file a police complaint against you or if the person who believes you stole the money wants to sue you, that person can do so.

Consult with a lawyer if you are sued/charged.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">