• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired Contractor - need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zeronine

I hired a tile & mansonry guy fully insured and licensed to build a shower on metal framing that was about 90% done. The day he finished, we were leaving for vacation at 5:30pm. He finished at exactly 5:30pm so I didn’t have the time to fully inspect the work he did. Like an ass I paid him fully before we left. Also he did work in my house before and did a great job, so I trusted him. After we got back from vacation I checked his work and notice a **** load of mistakes. The grout lines on one wall had a 1/2” bow, the curb was out by 1/4”, all the shower walls were bowing out towards the middle of the wall and not square, one wall from bottom to top was out more the 1 1/2”

His excuse was that the existing framing was off and he did the best he could. The existing framing was straight. He just screwed up. Plus in his invoice he had “build walls as need”. which he added 2x3’s and installed wonderboard again he screwed up.

So I asked him to take down everything and he agreed to remove the tile (50% broke on removal) and wonderboard. We came to a verbal agreement that I would rebuild the walls and he would redo the tile and curb.

After talking about it with my wife and going over the dozen mistakes he made. We decided to fire him. We didnÂ’t feel confident that he would do a good job.

So now I donÂ’t have a shower and he is fully paid has all my material and only want to refund me 45%.

Do I take him to small claims court?

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You ignored the question asking you what STATE you're in. It's there for a reason.

What's the total amount of money involved?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you want to sue for that amount you can't sue in small claims court. The limit is $3000 in town and village courts, or $5000 in a city court.

Did you ask him for your material back? He seemed willing to meet you half way and then you changed your mind. Have you spoken to him since then to try to make some arrangement?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">