• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I loaned a friend money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shana117

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire
I loaned a friend money, they were supposed to pay me when they got their income tax refund. I have this documented in text messages, which I have printed out. As the end of this month approached, I contacted my friend and asked if she had gotten her refund yet. She ignored me and put me off, and then finally admitted that she doesn't have the money (she is driving a new car!) and will pay me back "sometime." As stated above, I have everything documented in our text message conversations and I have the cancelled check, which clearly states "loan" in the memo area. Do I have enough documentation to bring this to small claims court? Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please understand that, even if you win in court, the court doesn't collect the money for you.

Dandy Don

How much money are we talking about here?

This will make an excellent small claims case, but is it worth your time and trouble or would it be better for you to take the loss and "chalk it up to the game" as a lesson learned that you will not repeat in the future.

If you do win, there are books available (or do online research) on how to collect a judgment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">