• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord invalid notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I received a 5 day notice demanding money for all kinds of things beyond the legal rent. Yes I was a few days late on rent but I had a lot of problems with that apt and the landlord refused to fix them and I wanted to make the point I wasn't going to give my hard earned money to him so he could scam me. His reputation online is really bad an I have always been a good tenant and have perfect credit.

According to the law, a landlord can only demand past due rent in a 5 day notice. So he broke the law with that. If I didn't pay up or leave within 5 days I would lose "rights of possession." According to the lease, if I lost rights of possession I could be forcibly removed, locked out, and have ALL of my belongings taken from me and sold or destroyed. Obviously I had no time to fight this in a court in 5 days so I left for fear of the worst. I would like to sue for the landlord for breaking the landlord-tenant law by giving me that illegal 5 day notice. I would also like to sue for the emotional distress of worrying about ALL of my things being taken from me and being out on the street, and having to plan a move in 5 days and all the headache of that. He also broke the law by not making two repairs in my apartment within the legal amount of time.

I'm not money hungry or a bum tenant. This could have been easily worked out if he would have just been a professional businessman and not a scammer. He preys on people who have bad credit and can't get a good place and people like me who were just new in town and didn't know any better. Please help me understand what might happen if I sue him. This whole situation was a real nightmare for me and the worst experience of the whole year.

Banned_Princess

I received a 5 day notice demanding money for all kinds of things beyond the legal rent. Yes I was a few days late on rent but I had a lot of problems with that apt and the landlord refused to fix them and I wanted to make the point I wasn't going to give my hard earned money to him so he could scam me. His reputation online is really bad an I have always been a good tenant and have perfect credit.

According to the law, a landlord can only demand past due rent in a 5 day notice. So he broke the law with that. If I didn't pay up or leave within 5 days I would lose "rights of possession." According to the lease, if I lost rights of possession I could be forcibly removed, locked out, and have ALL of my belongings taken from me and sold or destroyed. Obviously I had no time to fight this in a court in 5 days so I left for fear of the worst. I would like to sue for the landlord for breaking the landlord-tenant law by giving me that illegal 5 day notice. I would also like to sue for the emotional distress of worrying about ALL of my things being taken from me and being out on the street, and having to plan a move in 5 days and all the headache of that. He also broke the law by not making two repairs in my apartment within the legal amount of time.

I'm not money hungry or a bum tenant. This could have been easily worked out if he would have just been a professional businessman and not a scammer. He preys on people who have bad credit and can't get a good place and people like me who were just new in town and didn't know any better. Please help me understand what might happen if I sue him. This whole situation was a real nightmare for me and the worst experience of the whole year.
What are you talking about.

What about the 5 day notice was illegal?

Did you know you cannot withhold rent because your unhappy with the landlord?

What are you talking about.

What about the 5 day notice was illegal?

Did you know you cannot withhold rent because your unhappy with the landlord?
Get off of this site because if you don't know the landlord tenant law you probably don't know anything and have no authority to be giving advice.

I'm looking for legal advice, not judgment. I know there's some of you where I could give my side of the story and I'd be the bad guy, and the landlord could give his side of the story and you'd call him the bad guy too. Well you losers are a waste of life and wasting your time with your petty judgment crap so go away.

If there is someone who knows the law and is willing to give their opinion on what they believe is likely to happen should I take this to court I would love to hear from you.

swalsh411

So you knew (or thought you knew) the notice was illegal but you left anyway? You're probably better off not living there.

BL

Please cite the Law of the bolded statement .

Last edited:

divona2000

Op has been posting about this since May 2009...

May
My lease says that if I break anything on it, the landlord can "terminate rights of possession...the retention of possession by Tenant shall constitute as a forcible detainer...Tenant agrees to surrender possession of demised premises immediately upon the request of the Landlord...grants Landlord full and free license to enter into and upon premises, with or without due process of law, and to expel and remove Tenant or any other person, and Landlord may use such force...as he may deem to be necessary"...
May
My lease states that if I don't pay rent the landlord can break into my apt and steal my belongings to compensate for rent.
June
I received a 5 day notice from my landlord.
Aug
I broke a lease after living in an apartment for exactly a month.
and not paying his rent...

May
I don't think I will be able to pay rent on the first. I will pay it as soon as possible.
June
I haven't paid rent or the security deposit I owed
Aug
I make enough to pay my rent, I've always paid my rent over 4 years of apartment living since I moved out of mom and dad's house except for this case.
Oct
I stopped paying rent after the first month because of 4 major problems I had.

and he's had that attitude since then also...

"thanks just answering the question instead of talking down on me like some of these people."

"Please, save the judgment. You haven't been through what I have with this slumlord and no one would put up with that type of living arrangement, so stop pretending that you would."

"You must a slumlord yourself. Well I hope you know that some business people are honest and willing to follow the law and that not everyone is a cheap SOB like you. You're scum."

Last edited:

BL

Op has been posting about this since May 2009...

May
May
June
Aug

and not paying his rent...

May
Aug
Oct

and he's had that attitude since then also...
Wow ,Just WOW !!!

I'd like the OP to cite that Law though ..:)

Wow ,Just WOW !!!

I'd like the OP to cite that Law though ..:)
I lived in this apt from early may to early june and then left on the fifth day of the 5 day notice. I haven't sued. I've been on here asking for advice periodically but it doesn't seem like I'll get any. This site is a piece of ****.

If you want to know what the law is regarding 5 day notices in Illinois then you look it up. I'm wanting to talk to someone who already knows what the law is. I know what the law is and I know the landlord broke the law for this and other things. What I don't know is what the consequences are for breaking the law.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE LAWS THEN YOU DON'T NEED TO BE ON THIS SITE GIVING ADVICE.

If you're a low-life loser who has nothing better to do then get on the internet and be ignorant because everyone in your real life knows what a dummy you are then go ahead.

BL

I lived in this apt from early may to early june and then left on the fifth day of the 5 day notice. I haven't sued. I've been on here asking for advice periodically but it doesn't seem like I'll get any. This site is a piece of ****.

If you want to know what the law is regarding 5 day notices in Illinois then you look it up. I'm wanting to talk to someone who already knows what the law is. I know what the law is and I know the landlord broke the law for this and other things. What I don't know is what the consequences are for breaking the law.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE LAWS THEN YOU DON'T NEED TO BE ON THIS SITE GIVING ADVICE.

If you're a low-life loser who has nothing better to do then get on the internet and be ignorant because everyone in your real life knows what a dummy you are then go ahead.
Well instead of moving OUT ,then asking how you can sue ,WHY didn't you come on this site and politely asked very knowledgeable members what your options are first ?

You got a notice and moved out on your own free will.

Any habitability issues needed to be addressed while you resided there ,not after .

If you don't like the site ,don't post .

Well instead of moving OUT ,then asking how you can sue ,WHY didn't you come on this site and politely asked very knowledgeable members what your options are first ?

You got a notice and moved out on your own free will.

Any habitability issues needed to be addressed while you resided there ,not after .

If you don't like the site ,don't post .
If you look at previous posts you'll see I did come on here and ask nicely and the majority of replies were nothing but judgment and nonsense from people who obviously had no knowledge of the law. I looked at other people's posts and noticed that that was the trend among this board. I just have a small hope that this site might serve it's original purpose.

I have a feeling if I came on here and said I driving down the road and was car jacked and then raped and beaten the people on here would say I was at fault.

swalsh411

So you're absolutely so certain that you are correct and practically everybody who has answered your questions is wrong then why have you made so many posts? Why do you keep coming back? Why not just delete the bookmark and do what you think is best based upon your clearly superior knowledge of the law? It shouldn't be that hard for you to research your own question as opposed to dealing with a bunch of "low life losers"

You have also posted similar questions on other legal advice sites and had the same bad attitude. What does this tell you about who has the problem?

:rolleyes:

edit: Also if anybody cares the OP is a she.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">