• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan Resident sued by business in Massachusetts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

farming78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Last year i purchased airline tickets from a travel agent in Massachusetts. For some personal reason i have to cancel my trip so i called them to cancel the ticket. They did cancel the ticket. When i request refund after deducting the cancellation fee they asked me to pay the cancellation fee on top of already paid ticket price. They told since the ticket was issued by delta they cannot deduct the cancellation fee and refund. So i have to pay these people the cancellation fee and i will be getting my full ticket price from Delta. I did not trust those guys so deceided to file a dispute with my credit card.

I filed the dispute and got the refund less cancellation fees. Now the agent filed a small claims in Massachusetts district court but i am in Michigan. When i called the Massachusetts court to dismiss due to i am not in the personal juristiction. The clerk was saying i need to appear in person and does not matter where i live.

They agent operate the business from India but they registered based off Massachusetts. There is no one physically working from that location and all the calls are handled by offshore.

Anyone can help me how i can handle this.. How can i dismiss this case without travelling to Massachusetts? Or is there a way i can respond from here? I sent the response in writing and request to dismiss but the clerk is saying the judge will not open that read until the hearing date. Also she was saying i need to be present on that day no matter i sent the written response or not. Does not make any sense.. please help me in this reagrd..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">