• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving company cheated me. Need help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RajeshK

I made a credit card payment of around 9k dollars over phone for moving household items from GA to CA.The moving company did not inform/provide any terms and conditions or neither did they mention about the cancellation charges at the time of payment.
Later I decided to cancel the moving service and to my shock, the moving company charged 50% of the amount as a cancellation charges.
The moving company blocked my phone number and were not responding to my emails so I disputed the credit card payment and the moving company lied that they provided the service and the dispute turned in their favor.

The moving company is in GA and I am currently residing in CA. What can I do ?

Just Blue

I made a credit card payment of around 9k dollars over phone for moving household items from GA to CA.The moving company did not inform/provide any terms and conditions or neither did they mention about the cancellation charges at the time of payment.
Later I decided to cancel the moving service and to my shock, the moving company charged 50% of the amount as a cancellation charges.
The moving company blocked my phone number and were not responding to my emails so I disputed the credit card payment and the moving company lied that they provided the service and the dispute turned in their favor.

The moving company is in GA and I am currently residing in CA. What can I do ?
How did you get your stuff to CA? Do you have proof that you didn't use them? How much notice did you give them that you were not going to use the service?

xylene

Without knowing the amount of time between cancellation and the booked date, this could be an outrage or completely reasonable.

This is an enourmous amount of money, and you were really very blasé about the details, something which does not help you.

Given the amount and distance, you should have hired a lawyer to help recoup the money before filing the dispute with the CC and really should do that now to see if anything can be salvaged. I woulld not throw too much good money after bad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">