• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need a Lawyer for Small Claims Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anonymous23

I want to sue an agency I work with for extortion.

Lawyers have told me that they would not represent my case. I really want justice, I feel violated and like I have been very deeply wronged.

If I lose in court, I can take that. But to just let the agency get away with this-- and they are doing it with others-- seems unconscionable.

I don't want to give any identifying details here, so I am looking for guidance on legal bureaucracy / procedure.

I am wondering what I can do to get a lawyer to represent me, even though I will probably lose. If it is just a matter of paying them enough, I will do it. I'll take out a loan if I have to. I just want to stand up for myself and others being wronged, even though we will probably lose. Is it just a matter of paying them enough money? Is that really it? God, it is so frustrating if that is actually it.

If I cannot get a lawyer to represent me, do I have a shot at taking this to trial (I know nothing about the legal system / trials)?

Last edited:

quincy

I want to sue my an agency I work with for extortion.

Lawyers have told me that they would not represent my case. I really want justice, I feel violated and like I have been very deeply wronged.

If I lose in court, I can take that. But to just let the agency get away with this-- and they are doing it with others-- seems unconscionable.

I don't want to give any identifying details here, so I am looking for guidance on legal bureaucracy / procedure.

I am wondering what I can do to get a lawyer to represent me, even though I will probably lose. If it is just a matter of paying them enough, I will do it. I'll take out a loan if I have to. I just want to stand up for myself and others being wronged, even though we will probably lose. Is it just a matter of paying them enough money? Is that really it? God, it is so frustrating if that is actually it.

If I cannot get a lawyer to represent me, do I have a shot at taking this to trial (I know nothing about the legal system / trials)?
What is the name of your state?

quincy

You can represent yourself in small claims court.
An attorney can represent anonymous in a small claims action, as well, in SOME states.

Many attorneys will not accept as a client someone who has no legitimate claim to pursue, however, even if a handful of $1000 bills is used as enticement.

anonymous23

An attorney can represent anonymous in a small claims action, as well, in SOME states.

Many attorneys will not accept as a client someone who has no legitimate claim to pursue, however, even if a handful of $1000 bills is used as enticement.
Massachusetts. I am I really frustrated. I really don't want to give out any more identifying information than this. What I don't understand is a reasonable person would be furious with how the agency acted, and reasonable people told me to get a lawyer. This is not frivolous.

What outrages me is you have lawyers going after people and organizations all the time for money over actually frivolous claims-- even when the case is weak. I am not even seeking monetary damages. If it makes the lawyer take the case, I would do so I suppose. I just want this agency to stop doing this to people.

PayrollHRGuy

What do you hope to get out of the suit if not monetary damages?

With no more clue than "extortion" in your original post there isn't much we can do to help.

quincy

Massachusetts. I am I really frustrated. I really don't want to give out any more identifying information than this. What I don't understand is a reasonable person would be furious with how the agency acted, and reasonable people told me to get a lawyer. This is not frivolous.

What outrages me is you have lawyers going after people and organizations all the time for money over actually frivolous claims-- even when the case is weak. I am not even seeking monetary damages. If it makes the lawyer take the case, I would do so I suppose. I just want this agency to stop doing this to people.
The good news is that Massachusetts allows for attorneys in small claims actions. Not all states do.

The bad news is that you cannot force any lawyer to help you.

And I am not sure what sort of compensation you are seeking with a lawsuit.

Extortion (and suspected extortion) can be/should be reported to the police for investigation.

You can also report an agency to your state attorney general.

Here is a link to Massachusetts small claims information: https://www.mass.gov/small-claims

Last edited:

FlyingRon

The next question is what do you mean by "agency?" Are we talking about a private organization or some government body? Suing government bodies is problematic (and probably not something you're going to accomplish in small claims and certainly not without an attorney).

Whether you even have something actionable hasn't been explained. Most people don't really understand what extortion really means.

anonymous23

The next question is what do you mean by "agency?" Are we talking about a private organization or some government body? Suing government bodies is problematic (and probably not something you're going to accomplish in small claims and certainly not without an attorney).

Whether you even have something actionable hasn't been explained. Most people don't really understand what extortion really means.
I cannot get into it without revealing identifying aspects of my case.

anonymous23

Private employer. They function as an agency. I don't want to get into what type of agency. I really want to protect my anonymity here.

quincy

I cannot get into it without revealing identifying aspects of my case.
Then there is really little else a forum can do to help you.

I suggest you continue to try to find an attorney in your area so you can freely discuss facts that you do not want to share on a public forum - and not disclosing details is a smart choice.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I understand that...and the OP already stated that no attorneys (that he's contacted) will take the case. Because of this, if the OP wishes to pursue the matter, the OP can represent her/himself in small claims court.

That's what I was trying to say ;)

quincy

I understand that...and the OP already stated that no attorneys (that he's contacted) will take the case. Because of this, if the OP wishes to pursue the matter, the OP can represent her/himself in small claims court.

That's what I was trying to say ;)
Oh. I knew that. I wasn't disagreeing with your earlier post. :)

Because anonymous said he knew "next to nothing about the legal system/trials," though, I wanted to let him know that a small claims court might or might not allow for an attorney, depending on his state.

Of course, it also depends on his ability to find an attorney willing to take him on as a client for a small claims case, a case that does not appear to have compensable damages.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

I just don't want this group to do this to others.
That's not why you sue somebody.

You do it to get compensated for what they did to you. Even if you are successful in getting your compensation it isn't necessarily going to stop them from doing the same thing to others.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">