• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roomate Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tsumi

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I currently live in a house with two roommates. Most of the utlities are in my name and unfortunately we don't have anything signed about them. We all have signed a renters lease that does state that the yard must be upkept.

One of my roommates has been staying at her boyfriends for the most part since beginning of july and has decided that she doesn't feel it's fair to pay for the utilities since she's never there. I have been paying the utilities back till beginning of may which was the last time she paid her share. We've split 3 ways all the utilities since we moved in august of the year before.

Her stuff is still in the house and she's still paying rent. I believe this is the last month as we've found another roommate to replace her. Part of the utilities since may is paying for yard work since neither of us have time to do it. But power, water, cable, internet, have also been paid since may. She didn't mention to us that she didn't want to pay internet until last month.

Am I basically screwed or is there anything that can be done? I feel like she secretly used us as a climate controled storage unit and a place for her mail all this time.

I've attempted to work something out and pay what she owes over time etc, but she's now avoiding our calls and skipped out on us sitting down and discussion matters. We've always gotten along up until this point so I had no problem paying it.

I mean can I take her to court if need be? Does the fact she has been paying since we moved in as agreed by the verbal agreement we made when we moved in hold any say? I've been paying in good fair and had no reason to believe otherwise until just now.

Any help is appreaciated =) Thank you!

Last edited:

djohnson

Take it to small claims court. I think you have a case. Have copies of your bills, receipts, etc... showing how much and what was paid by whom.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">